How to calculate DOF distances?

Pband

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear friends,
I have Canon PowerShot S5IS and Canon 450D. Please tell me to calculate the DOF with these cameras? i.e., I want to know the distance in front and behind of my focussing point of the subject?

Thank you very much Steph. The link is a superb one. Certainly very useful to me. But can my camera help me in this regard?

Most modern lenses do not have DoF markings on them anymore ... I do not think yours will.

You may have a DoF preview function, so you can visually see it (if there is enough light).

You may have a DoF calculator function ... I know that some Canon EOS film SLR's had this.

If you have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, there's a couple apps available that have a DOF calculator built-in. They usually have other features as well such as sunset/sunrise time for your location, flash exposure calculator, and exposure reciprocation calculator. I picked up one called PhotoCalc and it was only a few bucks I think.

What about others? How do you manage to calculate the DOF on the field? Or you don't to calculate the DOF at all? I want many more replies, please.

You can add LIVE DOF calculator in your S5 IS, it shows all you need in half-pressed shutter button. Have a look at the site
CHDK Wiki

It is lovely soft, you add 10bit RAW, too. And many others.

lay a yardstick down on the floor and take a pictuer at each F-stop. focus on the same spot every time. Each picture will give you the distance it will focus toward and away from the focal point. Ive been wanting to try this.

Mark

lay a yardstick down on the floor and take a pictuer at each F-stop. focus on the same spot every time. Each picture will give you the distance it will focus toward and away from the focal point. Ive been wanting to try this.

Mark
To bad it's not that simple. You also have to account for camera to subject distance.

I keep wrestling with an answer for you (outside using one of the available calculators).

Generally speaking, I don't concern myself too much with it except for macro shots..

DOF usually only becomes an issue at lower f-stops and long lenses. With some in-close photography you may want to intentionally have some things in focus and some out, so focusing slightly "into" the subject is a valid technique..

Perhaps it would help if we knew what you were shooting and why you need to understand DOF techniques more..:D

There's an app for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back