How to capture sharp photos?

alfonse1008

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do I need steady hand to capture very sharp photos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the subject, the lens' focal length and the shutter speed you're using.

But generally, the ability to hold a camera steady helps.

Hold your elbows against your body and try not to jerk the camera when you click the shutter. Breath and relax.

As a general rule, when handholding a camera, don't let the shutter speed drop lower than the reciprocal of the focal length.

Consequently, if you're shooting at 100mm, your shutter speed should not dip below 1/100 of a second. If you're shooting at 28mm your shutter speed should not dip below 1/30 of a second. If you're shooting at 500mm then your shutter should not be slower than 1/500 of a second. Et Cetera.

With practice and learning slow shutter shooting techniques, you should be able to handhold your camera utilizing shutter speeds under the rule. Additionally, if your camera/lenses has IS, you should be able to significantly shoot under the rule at well.

As a general rule, when handholding a camera, don't let the shutter speed drop lower than the reciprocal of the focal length.

Consequently, if you're shooting at 100mm, your shutter speed should not dip below 1/100 of a second. If you're shooting at 28mm your shutter speed should not dip below 1/30 of a second. If you're shooting at 500mm then your shutter should not be slower than 1/500 of a second. Et Cetera.

With practice and learning slow shutter shooting techniques, you should be able to handhold your camera utilizing shutter speeds under the rule. Additionally, if your camera/lenses has IS, you should be able to significantly shoot under the rule at well.

Thank you very much Gary [emoji4]

IS - image stabilization - is not as capable as often thought.
Once shutter speed is faster than about 1/500 of a second IS becomes ineffective because the IS system can't move fast enough.
Plus, one needs to be aware if the IS system is in the camera at the image sensor, or in the lens.
Image stabilization - Wikipedia
Nikon VR explained

And IS can actually cause blurred images. It's not the set-and-forget magic genie many make it out to be.

When I first taking photos. I had noticed that my photos was a bit blurry. So done a load of practicing with the shutter speed. I do agree with Gary.

Most reactions

Back