How to clean stubborn filters

RockDawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple Hoya filters that I can't seem to get clean for the life of me. I've tried cleaning them with a brand new lens cloth and also tried it with some distilled water. Nothing seems to get them clean. They appear to have smears/smudges and when I wipe them the smears move and change, but will not disappear. Any suggestions?

Find a "real camera" store and look for a product call Lens Cleaner. Just a drop and a lens cloth or old fashion lens tissues should help.

I bought a Kodak lens cleaning kit in the past that include a Kodak Lens cleaning fluid and lens paper. And that works well in the situation you mentioned.

Try a Lens pen. Used one once and will never go back

I've seen many lenses scratched by using a lens pen, because dirt particles can become embedded in them. Fair warning.

It sounds like whatever it is is oily or petroleum based, so +1 on using a lens cleaner solution that has a mild detergent in it.

If the filters are CPL's, it could be some of the optical filler used between the 2 CPL filter elements.

I've seen many lenses scratched by using a lens pen, because dirt particles can become embedded in them. Fair warning.

It sounds like whatever it is is oily or petroleum based, so +1 on using a lens cleaner solution that has a mild detergent in it.

If the filters are CPL's, it could be some of the optical filler used between the 2 CPL filter elements.

You are supposed to wipe or blow the lens free of dirt first THEN use the lens pen. I also use the lens pen BTW as it works better than anything. No streaks or film like other cleaners.

I'll try some of that liquid lens cleaner. I didn't realize there was such a thing. Thanks for all the input!

I have a couple Hoya filters that I can't seem to get clean for the life of me. I've tried cleaning them with a brand new lens cloth and also tried it with some distilled water. Nothing seems to get them clean. They appear to have smears/smudges and when I wipe them the smears move and change, but will not disappear. Any suggestions?

Suggestions????? Do not buy Hoya filters. For many years, Hoya filters have had the reputation of being the #1 Brand for Smearing. Seriously. I'm not kidding. I know from first-hand experience exactly what you are talking about. I love ann and her vast experience, but the idea that lens cleaner can help clean certain Hoya filters is not borne out by my own experience. I have spent countless tries getting some old Hoya filters clean and smudge-free using various cleaning solutions: Kodak Lens Cleaning Fluid, Edmund Scientific's brand, using Kodak Lens Cleaning Paper, clean 100 percent cotton T-shirts, and multiple brands and style of modern microfiber cleaning cloths...same results from older Hoya filters, their HMC series...big, herkin' smears and smudges...impossible to clean...

hm, thanks for the tip about they hoya filters Derrel, had no clue as i don't use that brand and if I had that experience I would have gone running to the hills and keep my mouth shut :)

hm, thanks for the tip about they hoya filters Derrel, had no clue as i don't use that brand and if I had that experience I would have gone running to the hills and keep my mouth shut :)

To be fair, I am referring to "older" Hoya and Hoya HMC filters...we used to call them Hoya Messy Coating filters...it almost seems like there's a green smudgy film that smears around and around when one tried to clean those things...it's been noted by many people who did use Hoya filters.

And to be fair, the folks at THK, Hoya's parent company, have introduced some type of new coating that is designed to be "smudge free" and "easier to clean".

Here's one of maybe a hundred threads on Hoya filters and their difficult-to-clean history.Hoya HD filters: Legitimate Sellers on Ebay? - PentaxForums.com

Excelent point. I myself don't use it on the actual lens, just my uv filters. I never remove them

Most reactions

Back