How to convert KB photos to MB - help needed

nowipowi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I have won a photo competition, and the prize is a Print measuring 20" x 16"

The organiser asked if I could send the photo via email, which I did.

She has now sent another email saying the following ..........."It is only 809kb, so that does not seem right - most raw photo files are 2-3 MB"..........

I truly do not understand what raw is, and if anyone could please help me convert my online photo from 809kb to 2 to 3 MB, I would be extremely thankful.

It's my first ever photo competition win, and I just hope I haven't done anything wrong.

Thanks in advance

Sally Ling

"Raw" is the camera's native file format. For Nikon it's a file format called .nef, for Canon it's .cr2 or .crw. Raw files contain all of the image data and give you much more latitude in process and much larger files. I'm guessing you shot this particular image on a lower resolution .jpg only format, which means they're likely isn't much you can do. Their are software products out there that will allow you to "upsample" or increase the file size, but IMO, none of them do an especially good job. Read your camera's manual, which will explain what the raw format is for your camera, how to select it, etc. Be advised however you may need additional software as many programs cannot process raw files.

Hi there, I'm not sure whether you managed to upscale your image, but if not PM me and I'll sort it for you.

I'm confused. How many labs print raw file formats?

Most reactions

Back