How to create boarder in Photoshop CS3

lv6l

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do I create those black boarders I see in pictures on this forum. Thank you.

I have Adobe Photoshop CS3

Open your image. Then image >> canvas size>>new size. You can select the color there as well.

How do I determine what my new canvas size would be?

How do I determine what my new canvas size would be?

Well, it`s very simple... if the "Relative" option isn`t checked you will have to do a little math... on picture of 2000x1500 pixels let`s say you want a border of 100 pixels you just put a value of 2100 pixels in width and 1600 pixels in height...

But it`s way easier to just check the "Relative" option and just introduce the value of 100 pixels in width and 100 pixels in height, or any other value you want...

Oh okay, thanks! Is there a way to make the outside boarders but it kind of fades as it enters the picture? I hope this made sense.

If you just want a black line, without changing the canvas size, here's my tutorial on it. http://www.jimsdigitaldiary.com/border.html

I use it in this example to put a white border within a black to simulate a bevel cut mat. But you can use the technique in a simpler, one-step process as well.

It's really just the process of: 1. creating a new layer, 2. choosing All, and 3. going to Edit and choosing Stroke, then modifying the stroke for color & size until you get what you want.

Thank you you guys for all the help.

I still don't get really what I must do to get the effect of the fading boarders. I'll try to find an example picture to show you guys.

It`s pretty hard to explain, you have to have knowledge of Layers and learn how to use tools like brush, mask, blending tools, maybe the gradient tool. There are a lot of ways to do it. Try searching on google some tutorials about it. And try playing a little in photoshop, you can find a lot of interesting things and help you in choosing a way of doing it.

Good luck!

While you're googling, have a look at http://www.thepluginsite.com/products/download.htm There's a few free bits and bobs for PS, including free, pre set edges and borders that you can use as is, or as templates to create your own versions. Easy instructions on how to use them as well.

Most reactions

Back