How to create "warm" black and white effect

MGY

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw some warm b&w pictures and was wondering how the effect was created. It seemed almost like sepia, but was slightly different.

Put a warming filter on a B&W in photoshop.

Yeah....and if the filter effect looks too strong, just fade it a bit...

Filters on the lens, filters over your lights, filter effects in PS and Warm Tone paper. I don't know how widely spread warm tone paper is for digital but a girl at uni just found a box in 'Jessops' and it's really lovely, honestly.
The effect you use all depends on how natural you want the warmth to look.

try some duotone or tritoning in PS

Like a lot of things in PS, there are many ways to do this. All of the ones suggested earlier work, and you could also go into curves and alter the R, G and B curves separately to introduce the amount of color you want in the tonal range you want. Something similar can be done in a color balance adjustment layer. This is all assuming that you've converted to bw using some sort of adjustment layer so that you still have a rgb image, not a grayscale image. (except for duo- tri- quad-tones, where as far as I know you have to go through grayscale first) You can also tone during a bw conversion through the adjustment layer, at least in PS5.

Depending on which printer your using, it can be done then; i.e. epson 3800

thanks. I'm not too good with photoshop so I will just try using a warming filter for now. Might start playing with curves when I start to become more comfortable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back