How to Deal with Concert Venues Taking Advantage of Photographers

Kauz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I'm a photographer on a large college campus. I've posted in a bunch of places, and depending on where the day takes me I'm covering news, sports, concerts, lifestyle, whatever I can to fill time and have something to do. Lately, however, there's a problem with a local concert venue who is taking advantage of aspiring photographers.

By this I mean, they give photographers restricted access like any press photographer, and expect them to turn in a product in jpeg format by 5pm the next day. Doesn't sound bad, right? The only problem is, they're essentially taking aspiring (often bad) photographers, asking them to shoot for free, promising at most an extra ticket (or even free drinks for the photographer and +1) and often, if not almost always, not following through on the deal.

I don't say this to brag, but looking over the numerous photographers they tap into, I would say that I turn out the best, most reliable product. Because of this, I asked if we could come up with a licensing and payment agreement, and was promptly left by the wayside. Now I'm hearing from more and more photographers who are getting fed up with their practices.

The fact remains that they can continually tap into a seemingly unlimited base of photographers (going deeper and deeper into a shallow talent pool), photographers who amount to kids with a DSLR and a Facebook page, and in doing so, get free publicity and product.

How can we stop this venue from taking advantage of photographers in this way, so that the select few that do want the work and do turn out a good product can continue to do so and not be put in a bad situation? With almost nightly events, they continue to get free publicity, no licensing agreements so they can do whatever they want, and think that this is okay. I've considered bringing the photographers together and talking to them, but when one quits, another one pops up. It just doesn't seem to stop.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure there is anything you can do. Like you said, the talent pool is bottomless. It's their venue, if they are content to get crappy photos, they will have little inclination to pay more for your services.

bestbuy and facebook are cranking out photographers at an alarming pace.

I'm not sure there is anything you can do. Like you said, the talent pool is bottomless. It's their venue, if they are content to get crappy photos, they will have little inclination to pay more for your services.

I have to agree with this. Let them scrape the bottom of the barrel for the camera owners that are happy with a free ticket or a drink. If you are working on becoming a professional photographer then let this crap go. It's not worth the trouble dealing with these guys. For every good photographer there are a thousand behind them willing to work for free, and behind them there are thousands more. It's not just concerts that offer up nothing and expect pictures for free, professional sports does it as well. It's never going to change, it was like this in the film days only with fewer poeple, digital has turned everyone into a photographer and everyone wants to shoot concerts or sporting events and they don't care if they get anything out of it.

There's nothing you can do. When you leave, there are a hundred others to take your place. Make sure the camera club or photography students are all well aware of the practice. It won't stop them from doing the shoots. They get in the concert if nothing else!

It's an industry wide issue, not just concert venues, and an issue has existed since the second camera was sold about 175 years ago. :er:

I have been in a similar situation. My way around it was forgetting all about the venue and speaking directly to the acts that performed. Doing this (and providing the end product) gives you access all areas, opens up a load of doors professionally for you and, the icing on the cake is, it will REALLY piss off the venue and they will have ZERO control, as you will have your access from the performing acts. Do the research, sign up for the venues newsletter (however you find out who is playing) and drop them an email. Give some low res examples of your work and take it from there. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back