how to do photography for a living?

Unimaxium said:
Wow, shutterbug, that's really good for this age! How long have you been into photography? I'm 17 now and just starting out. So far I have a portfolio of 2 8x10 prints :roll: , but how long would you suppose it might take me to get to the point of selling my images or going semi-pro? How long did it take you? It would be really cool to make money off my work, but I'm afraid of starting too early and hurting my ego (although I suppose it couldn't hurt to try)

Well, I've been into photography since I was really little, having a dad who was at the pro level for many years. I didn't actually start getting into it seriously until about two or three years ago.

As for your question, if you have the eye for composition and such, and just "get out there", and get your work noticed (Anything public can help... Give away prints if you must to get started, but eventually it could pay off in some recognition, which is a plus)

Going "Semi-Pro" is kinda a vauge term... If you mean like... Part time, then you should think about it once your portfolio is strong enough to be able to tell people "Judge by my work, not by my my age." (I love using that line :)) Once you have that maybe an assistants job would help you understand how things work in a studio a little better, and how the whole process happens.

One suggestion for your portfolio though... Take your images down to kinkos or something and get them enlarged to 9x12 or 11x14 format. 8x10 is... okay for portfolios, but I find employers tend to like people with bigger prints (HA, my print is bigger than YOURS :roll: ) because it allows them to examine the work a little better (And because lots of guys with a lot of money are old, with crappy eyes :))

Note to anyone REALLY serious in doing photography full time - pick up Ed Lilley's book "The Business of Studio Photography." VERY good info.

mavrik said:
Note to anyone REALLY serious in doing photography full time - pick up Ed Lilley's book "The Business of Studio Photography." VERY good info.

Oooo, I read part of that when I was at the bookstore a few days ago... I didn't have enough for it though :(

(I had to buy normal teenager stuff :p)

Hehe. Fair enough for you - but you also had a pro dad, right? I'm sure you've picked a lot up along the way. For those of us just coming into this as adults or coming into it from another career, this book is a lifesaver! :D

M

While we're on the subject of portfolios.. Anyone know roughly how many large prints universities look for in interview? Would it be an idea for me to bring my sketchbook as well?

x

tragicendings_ said:
While we're on the subject of portfolios.. Anyone know roughly how many large prints universities look for in interview? Would it be an idea for me to bring my sketchbook as well?

x

Twenty to thirty prints in your folio is a good average, but take along sketchbooks, contact sheets and ideas book (with snapshots and prints in that you are working on).
I presume you are looking to do a Photocourse at an Art College. At interview they tend to be checking out what you are about and what things you like. They are not really too worried about technical quality of your work - they will teach you that. They want to see what sort of person you are and if you have an 'eye'.
If you do Photography at University then it tends to be a science course - very accademic.
Make sure you are applying for the right courses.
Again, in the UK Art Colleges prefer you to come via the Foundation Course route. That gives you a year to find the right college and get a folio together.
Good luck

danalec99 said:
Bravo Shutterbug... I like that determination in you... all the very best! :thumbsup:

Yeah, to live with your parents at 16 and not have to pay bills while "living your dream" - not something everyone can afford. No offense.

Ryan Gracie said:
danalec99 said:
Bravo Shutterbug... I like that determination in you... all the very best! :thumbsup:

Yeah, to live with your parents at 16 and not have to pay bills while "living your dream" - not something everyone can afford. No offense.

Yeah, and having to put up with litteral discrimination from so called pro adult photographers as well as having to work twice as hard to convince employers that I can do the same job as an adult just because I'm 16 is just a walk in the park.

Also, I pay for my house's internet connection, and I help my parents when they need it. Just a few weeks ago I paid to get my moms car fixed, so it isn't like I'm blowing what I make on everything I want. Everything that I make that doesn't get spent on Equipment repairs, more film or photo paper, or helping parents out goes to my college tuition account. (Except the money I'm spending on my car)

Not sure if it was mentioned, but sometimes doing work for free pays off, not only just for experience but people will be more inclined not to have to spend money for a decent job. plus, in the furture they maybe feel they want to hire you for another job, or owe you a favour for helping them ;) Then again some people either don't give a damn, or they forget or don't think they owe you anything or just don't think of it at all. I'm not saying they do, it's jsut such a nice thing if they do you favour in return :) Like recomendations to other employers is best.

Most reactions

Back