How to do this...

NM Rich

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone know how this effect was done? I like the grayed out background but keeping a couple objects in color...
47cb15b3b346aB-W-COLOR.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions!
Rich

If I'm not mistaken this is called Selective Coloring. The image was in color then using software (ie: Photoshop) they select the area they wish to keep colored, then desaturate the rest of the image making it B&W. I'm not sure on all the steps since I haven't tried it myself on a photo but I'm sure its not to hard.

My technique for doing this is:

Open file > Create new layer > Turn that layer to black and white > Erase from that layer to the background layer (Which will be the one in color) > only erase what you want in color

Hope that helps

~Michael~

I find a layer mask is a bit easier to use but Iflynethings approach should work fine as well

Thanks for the tips... I think I might give it a try!

you can also use your paint brush in PS and change the mode to color. just another way of achieving this

Or shoot film, print on paper, and hand color. There's a few people in here who do it that way.

yeah... I meant normal.... this is the "alternative" board...but because its alternative, its normal to us. :confused: LOL...:lmao:dang it's confusing. Anyways...:hail: NormalRocks...that is normal to us. Alternative to them. what ever!:wav::lmao:

Or shoot film, print on paper, and hand color. There's a few people in here who do it that way.
One of us just spent the weekend teaching very eager students the traditional craft. :mrgreen:

As astounding as it sounds....interest lives. I never saw so many adults happily getting their fingers pigment-stained. :lol:

I never saw so many adults happily getting their fingers pigment-stained. :lol:

Good adults! good adults! :lmao: We need them for back up when we take over the world! Alternative domination!:hail::hail::hail:

Good adults! good adults! :lmao: We need them for back up when we take over the world! Alternative domination!:hail::hail::hail:
Just wait till that pendulum swings the other way, Crystal.....everything old will be new again - isn't that how the saying goes? :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back