How to either take a picture or edit a picture to look vinatge?

kraftylady89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I am new and I do take alot of pictures, I have found a couple of pictures I really like how they look, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to get this look? Is it how the person took the picture or did she edit it to look that way. I dont know if I am able to add the picture here but will email it to anyone that wants to help me. Thanks in adavance. kraftylady89 oops yes I see I can add the pictur eso I will, I like the dar vintage feel of the picture.

Attachments

• $DSCN0601.jpg
    $DSCN0601.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 182
I'm guessing this image looks how it was shot. It doesn't look like there was too much post production, maybe slight saturation adustments and a little bump in contrast?

If you are trying to get a certain look my best advice is to practice either in camera or with your editing software. :)

It is done post process with editing of various kinds. To get that vintage yellowing look, use a Photoshop Curves adjustment on the blue channel. Pull the upper right corner of the blue curve down, and the lower left corner of the blue curve to the right so the line stays parallel to the reference line through the middle of the Curve window.
Yellow is the HSV complimentary color to blue. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_wheel
To give the image a hazy look, move the lower left corner of the normal Curves window up slightly.

What image editing software do you have available to use?

EditDSCN0601.jpg

Last edited:
desaturate and and add yellow... and that way it will look like every other fake vintage photo that is out there... don't forget to get an account on facebook! :)

Another simple answer is to shoot with a vintage camera. An acquaintance of mine turns out ridiculously awesome vintage shots and he does it by using vintage gear.

That said, KmH's tips are spot on.

That's easy, use instragram.. :lol: haha only kidding. For vintage looks I would first play with the tint and temp depending on the image. If you are using lightroom try split toning. And of course you'll make a few adjustments to the saturation and contrast.

Cross processing filter or a vintage action setting is an easy way. You can google those terms and finds lots of presets others have made and use those.

Most reactions

Back