How to find EXIF on posted photos

danbob6

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all-

Can anyone explain to me how I can (assuming it's possible) see the EXIF on photos posted to TPF?

Thanks

Download an EXIF viewer for your browser.

Download an EXIF viewer for your browser.

Thanks for the quick reply. If you wouldn't mind sharing, which viewer do you use? Firefox is my browser.

Thanks

Thanks again!

If you have a mac under the tools menu at the top of the screen is an option to turn on image explore and once an image is open, there are several tabs that you can click. This shows the exif data, and it's kind of cool to have a built-in system level exif reader.

I am working on a Mac and my browser is Firefox. "Image explore" isn't one of the choices under the tools menu, though.

It is in the Macintosh tools menu. Poke around there is something there. I'm away from my computer right now. I seldom look at this information, but I have used in the past quite a few times

If you would like there are dedicated readers available.

If you have a mac under the tools menu at the top of the screen is an option to turn on image explore and once an image is open, there are several tabs that you can click. This shows the exif data, and it's kind of cool to have a built-in system level exif reader.
I don't know where to find it either. Tried searching for "tools", found none.

Trust me it's been there for at least 10 years. Go to the tools menu, and hover the mouse pointer and it will appear. there are four or five or six options for tools. Pull down with the mouse and turn on the freaking application. This is extremely frustrating for me. it's been in every version of OS 10 since I can remember.

At the top of the Macintosh home screen are several tabs. go to the tools tab and pull down and you'll see the options available to you. you wrote"I have tried searching for tools:" noit is in the Tool menu located at the very top of your mac Desktop
screen. Like I said at the top of the Macintosh home screen is the tools menu; hover over that and pull down and there it is. This is a very routine operation. Although many people are unaware of the tools menu, it
is to the right of the file menu at the at the top of every Macintosh made since the beginning of Macintosh OS X. This has been there for 19 years or more.

Last edited:
I am working on a Mac and my browser is Firefox. "Image explore" isn't one of the choices under the tools menu, though.

Well, look around and see what is in there. Sorry but I cannot help you anymore as I am away from the house right now. Once again look in the tool menu at the top of the Mac desktop hover the mouse and pull down and it's like third and fourth option in the list.

Otherwise, download an EXIF
reader application and use that.

Last edited:
Once an image is opened on your Macintosh, the system can read the metadata, if there is any. AttachedThis has been possible for years and years, but as more and more people have started using Adobe export for web option in their image processing software many image files are stripped of all but the most basic data.

For example,
last night while responding to this thread on my iMac I looked at several image files, and most of them had been stripped of all but rudimentary metadata. My own files on the other hand,had a complete list of meta data easily visible using the Macintosh system level EXIF capability,which had a huge amount of data, including my own personal copyright information ,the camera used, the lens opening used,the time digitized, The body serial number, the tone curve, and many other things.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back