how to get a sharp image in sports

Thank you for the suggestion to focus on his eyes. That would make the image more dramatic. I have a 600mm, however, I can't seem to get sharp images from it. I have sharp images from it, but not recent.

Last edited:
This was an example of how I'd like to photograph the shooting event. Thank you for the suggestion to focus on his eyes. That would make the image more dramatic. I have a 600mm, however, I can't seem to get sharp images from it. I have sharp images from it, but not recent.

I realize that was an example. My suggestions were based on how to help you get an image like this.

Have you calibrated the 600mm to your camera? This could make a difference in images being sharp just as much as the f-stop that you are using. You may need to micro adjust the focus either forward or backwards.

I apologize if I seemed anything but grateful.

I checked the 600 and it seemed to be perfect.

1. didn't check it correctly
2. I'm doing something wrong.

This was an example of how I'd like to photograph the shooting event. Thank you for the suggestion to focus on his eyes. That would make the image more dramatic. I have a 600mm, however, I can't seem to get sharp images from it. I have sharp images from it, but not recent.

I realize that was an example. My suggestions were based on how to help you get an image like this.

Have you calibrated the 600mm to your camera? This could make a difference in images being sharp just as much as the f-stop that you are using. You may need to micro adjust the focus either forward or backwards.

I took a closer look at the images I posted. They are not quite sharp, close, but not quite to where I'd like them to be. The problem lies within these:

1. equipment not adjusted
2 support system
3. camera setup
4. technique

1. The 300 f/2.8 was calibrated to the D5. It didn't require any calibration. I used the slant ruler method.
2 Gitzo tripod with promedia gear gimbal head
3. AF-C. 1/1250. f/10
4. pressing the shutter release button. Not sure what else I need to do.

Practice. And a good tripod.

Stabilization is fairly new and millions of sharp photos were shot on slow film over the years. It's not that hard.

I primarily shoot a "sporting" activity, marching bands and pageantry, got about 11 years in now, and might shoot 10,000 images in a day. I use a Nikon 200-400 f4 hooked to a D5 on a monopod, which is close to what you're using, but more versatile IMO. I've worked my way up from a D3 so know the equipment well, and have tried every permutation of focus you can imagine. After all the smoke clears, I've settled on 9 point focus (or its equivalent) set to "release" and I have used back button focus for years. My keeper rate is excellent, but I'm constantly trying to improve my technique. Keep an ear to the ground through sports-shooting forums/websites, because it's all about speed and being able to get the shot instantaneously!

I'm a little late.

With the D5 and 600mm you should be all set at least equipment-wise.
Since the action you have headed towards you, you should be able to easily practice the situation.

Find a road, and take pics of oncoming cars, starting from a stop sign. That should give you the stop/start speed factor. The car is wider and shorter than a rider on a horse but should give somewhat similar type acceleration/speed situations, although missing the front calf which could interfere from time to time. Practice getting the grill sharp - track your ISO, Shutter speed and aperture for various shots when you review. Try starting at a really high Shutter speed and start slowing lowering it.

True you won't have the legs, and hair flowing nor the rider movement, but it should give you a consistent and continuous testing situation as long as the drivers don't object to it.

1. The 300 f/2.8 was calibrated to the D5. It didn't require any calibration. I used the slant ruler method.

when youre shooting sports, are they a rulers length away?

As you migrate from basic photography skills to advanced skills, learning how to stop action on your DSLR camera will be one of your biggest challenges. Shooting sharp sports photos and action photos is an important part of advancing your skill as a photographer

Most reactions

New Topics

Back