How to get amazing photos in the snow AND at night?

Nat0421

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Ive got a uni project and I need to learn how to take photos at night aswell as in the snow. I have some experience with photography however, Im not very good with the technical aspect of setting shutters and f-stops and all that.

Could you help me set up my camera to take nice lighted photos of snow falling or using lights to highlight the snow in the dark etc.

(my project that I have to do is themed 'night' and so hence the night time, I am holidaying to the snow this weekend and thought itd be an opportunity to capture something no one else will be able to)

Have a look at some of my inspiration photos so you know what I am talking about...

Entry 1 by WilliamHaley for Night Photography Assignment - Share Your Story: Photography Assignment 58 - Night Photography

First Snow - ViewBug.com

Snow and my daughter - Grimestone Photography » Grimestone Photography

???????? ?????? - BlogNews.am - ?????????? ?? ??????????

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
The biggest thing with snow is overexposing by a stop or more so it turns out white. Otherwise, snow looks grey and dirty. It's a tricky balance you'll learn thru experience.

#s 1, 2, & 4 appear to be using the available light of the streetlight. #3 appears to have been flashed. For the low light photos, you should try to get a good exposure while keeping your shutter speed high enough to stop motion. That means increasing the ISO. For the flash photo, just flash normally.

Trying to guess in advance what settings will be needed, on a dark night with snow, is almost impossible. You'll have to use a light meter or the exposure meter in the camera and you may want to use spot-metering so you expose for the parts of the scene you want. After the first few you'll have a good idea of what's needed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back