How to Get Arrested

Ok, there's some irony for you.., caption on the video reads "Driver nearly gets ran over by a redneck"..

The proper phrasing for that should be "Driver nearly gets run over by a redneck"

The really ironic part... I am a redneck, and even I know that.

Made the mistake of reading the user comments under the article. They almost instantly devolved into a childish Trump/Hillary argument complete with name-calling on both sides. It's amazing how quickly people assume we are up to some nefarious act just because we have a camera. I don't do much that could be considered controversial, and I've been confronted several times.

Made the mistake of reading the user comments under the article. They almost instantly devolved into a childish Trump/Hillary argument complete with name-calling on both sides. It's amazing how quickly people assume we are up to some nefarious act just because we have a camera. I don't do much that could be considered controversial, and I've been confronted several times.

Well sure.. because a guy almost getting run over by another guy is such an extremely politically charged event...

Umm.. I guess. Ok ya, not seeing that one either. It is kind of interesting how people get worked up by seeing you with a camera, especially in certain situations. So far at the zoo I haven't had any problems, but when I go shoot down by the river I will occasionally run across folks who think I'm there trying to take pictures of them.. when I'm really only interested in Sandhill cranes, Canadian geese and whatever other birds I can find.

But it has sparked some rather interesting conversations. One guy demanded I hand him my camera, I declined. He told me I would either hand him my camera or he would, and I quote, take it from me. I got out of my vehicle and only then did it dawn on him that I was nearly a foot taller and close to 100 lbs heavier. I explained to him that I would not be handing him my camera, however if he felt the need we could certainly call the police and have them sort it out, I had no problem whatsoever showing them all the images I had taken. I also explained that any attempt to grab my camera would be met with whatever force I felt was necessary to defend my property.

So yup, it's weird how some folks react to a camera anymore. I guess it's just the times we live in.

One guy demanded I hand him my camera, I declined. He told me I would either hand him my camera or he would, and I quote, take it from me.

Yeah, I've had similar situations a few times. It amazes me that people think you are just going to hand a complete stranger (a clearly angry and not entirely rational stranger) thousands of dollars worth of gear. Most of the mouth breathers wouldn't know how to review the photos on a DSLR anyway. I'm only about 5.9 but I'm a solid 200lbs. I carry pepper spray and a Walter PPS .40 cal. Never had cause to use either, but I've been close twice.

So the photographer had parked a car on a public road and set up lights so he could photograph the car.
Apparently, the photographer hadn't arranged with the proper authorities to do that , or else at least 1 LEO would have been present.
What a great way to convince others that some number of photographers are total jerks.

Kudos to the idiot in the truck for letting the photographer video his felony threatening with his SUV.

It's totally inexcusable the driver's behavior. I'm not about to say that he was anything but an agro redneck.

But has it crossed anyone's mind that the photographer was illegally blocking a public road? Or does he have permission?

I mean, yeah, the guy in the truck should have just done what any normal person would have and called the highway patrol... but TBH just because the guy in the truck was acting completely inexcusably doesn't change the fact that the photographer shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I hope he at least got a written warning.

So the photographer had parked a car on a public road and set up lights so he could photograph the car.
Apparently, the photographer hadn't arranged with the proper authorities to do that , or else at least 1 LEO would have been present.
What a great way to convince others that some number of photographers are total jerks.

Kudos to the idiot in the truck for letting the photographer video his felony threatening with his SUV.

My thoughts exactly!!

I've heard some admit to trespassing and pulling over on bridges for a shot and sneaking cameras into venues that don't allow photography. Nothing as bad as actually blocking traffic though.

Trespassing I don't mind, so long as it's not egregious; rather, it's not "ok" but at the same time it's not "bad" - I view it as something between the parties involved. Pulling over on a bridge is just dangerous. Blocking traffic is both dangerous and obnoxious and really shows a "brotographer" type of entitlement.

I carry pepper spray and a Walter PPS .40 cal. Never had cause to use either, but I've been close twice.
I cannot even begin to describe how disturbing that sentence is.

They weren't blocking traffic.

I carry pepper spray and a Walter PPS .40 cal. Never had cause to use either, but I've been close twice.
I cannot even begin to describe how disturbing that sentence is.

Disturbing how? That someone is willing to defend themself?

Truthfully, had it been me, the second time the guy came at me with his truck (at this point it IS a 'lethal weapon'..... Don't kid yourself!), he'd be having .38s or 9mms penetraiting his windshield.

And before you say it, no..... I'm not defending my gear. I'm defending my life. I do not carry to protect what can be replaced..... I carry to protect that which cannot.

There didn't look to be much traffic around those areas...

I'm defending my life. I do not carry to protect what can be replaced..... I carry to protect that which cannot.
And this guy 'thought' he was protecting his "driveway". I'm guessing he would have had a gun, too. So, you'd rather a firefight between people with guns (with one who thinks he's protecting his property and the other who thinks he's protecting his property/life), one in a vehicle that can easily drive away? Ehh.. not me.

There didn't look to be much traffic around those areas...

I'm defending my life. I do not carry to protect what can be replaced..... I carry to protect that which cannot.
And this guy 'thought' he was protecting his "driveway". I'm guessing he would have had a gun, too. So, you'd rather a firefight between people with guns (with one who thinks he's protecting his property and the other who thinks he's protecting his property/life), one in a vehicle that can easily drive away? Ehh.. not me.

God made some men big and God made some men small. Col. Colt made 'em all the same size. At least if I'm packing, it's a fair fight. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I'll let you call 911 when your life is threatened. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away! Me, I'll wait until I'm safe and alive before I call for an ambulance. Maybe they'll arrive before he bleeds out.

Most reactions

Back