how to get bright photos. HELP!!!

Red light with a wavelength of 650 nm from the Sun, and red light with a wavelength of 650 nm from some kind of man made light source are exactly the same .

Okay, I think we've safely established that we've got two opposing views on the topic, and it's unlikely that one is going to conver the other, so perhaps we should just let it die peacefully?

Think I'll pull the blinds on this one and sit in the artificial dark.

Derrel you're going to make the OP real glad to have come on here and asked something! lol

I have found with some oddball weirdo manmade lighting in arenas like mercury vapor it is different than fluorescent (which I mistakenly thought was the arena lighting). All the filter did was make greenish photos pinkish! lol And before anyone says WB I was shooting film.

Also I've done lumen prints involving photo paper and sunlight; to use Panalure which was paper made to be used with fluorescent lighting I need to use that under fluorescent light - I tried it in sunlight and got bizarre looking prints. Obviously the chemicals in the emulsion of the photo paper react differently to those different light sources.

So I think some light sources could be different than sunlight or strobes, but using light in most photo situations would be similar in how you work with lower light or bright light, or how you place yourself or your subjects in relation to the light, etc.

I think as far as the OP's post goes I'd say the photos look like exposure was off, and I'd suggest getting out with just your camera and figure out how to set it to get proper exposures on a regular basis in various conditions. Then when you get really good at using the tools of the trade, the camera, the flash, etc. then get back to trying portraits. Seems like you have some good ideas of what could make good pictures but need to get better at the technical aspects of photography.

Who needs light when you have nikon's d5 iso monster? Hell, that thing will suck light from a black hole. /thread

Red light with a wavelength of 650 nm from the Sun, and red light with a wavelength of 650 nm from some kind of man made light source are exactly the same .

seems about right
but what happens when there are different photons from different sources at different times ?

Capital letters begin appearing at the beginning of sentences, and since photons move at the speed of light, those different photons from different sources that arrive at different times while the shutter is open get recorded.

But, yep.
All light, regardless how it is made, is the same stuff - photons - so all light is natural light.

image.jpg

To the OP:
Truthfully, my eyes glaze over at some of these responses! But I have to tell you that after joining 3+|- years ago, these answers are from the top, top folks that are full of expert info here on the forum!!
If you can re-read their responses, save the link, and re-read as you get better, it actually will start to make some sense.

You have some great subjects there to be able to shoot. Welcome and look forward to more from you.
My .02

Try experimenting with high-key photography. That's the best way to learn how to expose correctly.

To the OP:
Truthfully, my eyes glaze over at some of these responses! But I have to tell you that after joining 3+|- years ago, these answers are from the top, top folks that are full of expert info here on the forum!!
If you can re-read their responses, save the link, and re-read as you get better, it actually will start to make some sense.

You have some great subjects there to be able to shoot. Welcome and look forward to more from you.
My .02

I'm totally confused but I will say that when I was painting oils on a canvas, propping that bad boy up by a window was a wonderful thing. Additionally, when I sold automotive paint, I was considered an expert "in the field" color matcher. I could tint a color by eye but learned very early on to check the color outside under natural light, once matched in outside light, it would always match acceptably in all light situations. They called it metamerism.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back