How to get good photo for dermatologist with Coolpix S8200?

JenniferMurphy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While on a trip, I developed some sort of skin rash. My dermatologist said it didn't sound serious, but asked me to send him a few photos. I took some using the Macro setting on my new Nikon Coolpix S8200 in Auto Mode with an Image Mode setting of 12M.

The dermatologist said they were not in focus and to take more from further away and with better focus. I've tried several settings and different distances, but can't
get a really clear shot. I am using a little portable tripod, too.

Can someone tell me what settings to use and how to take a good close-up photo of this rash for medical diagnosis?

Thanks

Can you post a photo of how they look as of right now? You can host them here Minus - Free Image and File Sharing

What I would try is using your macro setting, but zooming in and focusing with as much light on the rash as possible. Use the tripod and hold still. My guess is that you're trying to get close to your rash while being fully zoomed out, which probably won't work as well.

With the Macro setting on, I was unable to get the camera to focus if the object was more than 5-6 inches away from the lens regardless of the zoom. I was able to get what I think is a better shot at about 6" away.

Even with the best equipment and a boat-load of experience, taking a detail shot of your own body can be a challenge; could you find a friend with a camera (preferably with a macro lens) to do the shoot for you?

I did have a friend try taking the photo with my little P&S camera. It came out worse than doing it myself. My best shots so far have been with the tripod and the 2s timer delay.

Are you making sure to not move the part that it is focusing on? For example, are you leaning in to press the button, then leaning back before the picture is taken?

Even with the best equipment and a boat-load of experience, taking a detail shot of your own body can be a challenge; could you find a friend with a camera (preferably with a macro lens) to do the shoot for you?

Not when you're sexting! :lmao:

I would think that any half way modern camera phone would be up to the task.

With the Macro setting on, I was unable to get the camera to focus if the object was more than 5-6 inches away from the lens regardless of the zoom. I was able to get what I think is a better shot at about 6" away.

That is probably the cameras closest focusing distance so nothing you can do will make it focus closer then that. using that info take the best picture you can and crop in closer once you have the image on the computer.

I would think that any half way modern camera phone would be up to the task.
Almost any camera is up to the job, but taking a picture of yourself is likely to be a challenge.

You have a rash and instead of finding someone that could take some better pics quickly you opted to go to an online photo forum to ask advice? seriously?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back