How to get insight into what clients want? More than just 'Pick your favs from my Pinterest Board'

207BR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for ways to get a better insight to what clients want. So I can meet and perhaps exceed their expectations. They're not always the best at explaining what they want, many times they don't know how to explain what they, and I'm probably asking the wrong questions. Please advise. And please point me to the appropriate thread if this has been covered already. Thanks.

Is this even a problem for any of you?

Communication with a client can be difficult. A way to direct the conversation that I've used and had some success with is to say something like " I know you have a picture in your mind of what you want this to look like and I'd like you to describe it to me ". It helps keep focus on the visual. Once you've determined the parameters of "the box" you can work within said box to make a happy client. It also helps that they then have a stake in the image. When I did commercial work my worst fear was a client who said "Just be creative". I knew right then they didn't know what they wanted but would likely not want what I'd give them.

Yeah, that was me too. How do you dig deeper when they asked you that question "Just be creative.". I'm sure you're not alone. I'd like to know from anyone how they handle this.

Most reactions

Back