How to get my parents to let be build a studio in the basement.

bighatphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yes, I still live with my parents. I haven't even graduated yet.

Basically, my parents have a gigantic, open basement, that they have had intentions to do something with sense they bought the house(4, almost 5 years ago) But just haven't yet.

I am really getting into photography and videography and want to do abit more with it. The problem is I just have a makeshift backdrop and some lights I setup when I want to do something which takes about 30mins just to get ready to do a shoot that might only take 5-10minutes.

What I would like to do, is use a roughly 10x10foot square of the basement to put a studio in. Put up a wall, a real backdrop, and some good lighting.
How can I persaude my parents to let me do this? Tips, tricks? Bribery tips? :D

That sounds like too small for a photo studio.

Can you do any of the building yourself? You might offer to finish the basement in return for letting you have one corner decorated as you wish.

grow up. move out.

That sounds like too small for a photo studio.

Can you do any of the building yourself? You might offer to finish the basement in return for letting you have one corner decorated as you wish.
its better then what I have now. Was thinking the minimum I would need to do portraits, interviews, and product photography/video for the most part

I can do most of the building myself. My dad is a carpenter, have learned quite abit from working him. The problem is cost. They don't have the money for materials, and wouldn't mind chipping into to help with there costs, but Its winter, lawncare business for me drops considerably.

Beg? Offer to do some thing(s) in exchange for use of part of the basement?

With no money, I don't think it's going to happen. Sorry.

Are your parents going to allow you to traipse strangers/clients in and out of the house? to the basement?

How long til you graduate? Maybe this ought to be a practice situation for now, a periodic portrait with a friend or relative, and if you want studio space that might need to be when you're out on your own. Interviews and portraits etc. etc. just sounds like it might be more than what will be realistic to be able to do in your parents' basement.

Beg? Offer to do some thing(s) in exchange for use of part of the basement?
Begging doesn't work very well, I know this from experience.
I can think of a few things I could help with. Might be able to negotiate with them

With no money, I don't think it's going to happen. Sorry.
I have the money to cover my portion. The sheetrock, the 2x4s, paint, etc, etc. I just don't have the money to cover there ideas. 12new walls, carpet, paint, couches, plumbing for the half bath, etc, etc.

Are your parents going to allow you to traipse strangers/clients in and out of the house? to the basement?

How long til you graduate? Maybe this ought to be a practice situation for now, a periodic portrait with a friend or relative, and if you want studio space that might need to be when you're out on your own. Interviews and portraits etc. etc. just sounds like it might be more than what will be realistic to be able to do in your parents' basement.
I don't plan to. More of friends, family, and maybe a few clients a year that are acquaintances.

By interview I mean more youtube video kind of stuff. I have a friend who I help with his youtube channel, Have another friend who has a news website. I plan on starting a youtube channel based around consumer technology reviews and project tutorials.
I have done a few freelance product photo shoots where they send me the product, I take flattering pictures and I either get paid, or I get to keep the product and sometimes I get paid AND keep the product.

I am 15 now, and I have no inclination to move out before I graduate highschool.
I have looked into renting space. The problem is the closest place that would work, is 30minutes away and I don't really want to have to drive an hour each time I have an idea I want to play with.

Not sure why you need to build a wall...maybe you could use some DIY type studio stuff, like timber-toppers that go on 2x4 boards to support a simple hook-and-crossbar type background. If you need light stands, you can make some out of PVC pipe. DOwnload a copy of the Tinker Tubes free .PDF format building guide to building panels (scrims) as well as simple light modifying devices and you can build lighting equipment affordably.

Photoshop Training and Photography Training Tutorials - Software Cinema - Tinkertubes

For lighting things, diffusion panels are extremely useful, and they allow you to use inexpensive lights, like work lights or whatnot, and you could do your video lighting with good results. You do not absolutely need a lot of space to do many types of photos or videos, but GOOD lighting is always a benefit.

The reason for the wall(which is more of a divider then a wall) is so I can separate me, from the rest of the basement For sound control and aesthetics. I rather not put sound foam up in the whole basement, It would be better to put it in just the area I need it.
Equipment is not really a problem. Its a place to setup the equipment. Having to tear down, setup, not having much room for different shots. I share a room with my brother, so I have to be semi-considerate and not sprawl across the room, etc, etc.
Not sure why you need to build a wall...maybe you could use some DIY type studio stuff, like timber-toppers that go on 2x4 boards to support a simple hook-and-crossbar type background. If you need light stands, you can make some out of PVC pipe. DOwnload a copy of the Tinker Tubes free .PDF format building guide to building panels (scrims) as well as simple light modifying devices and you can build lighting equipment affordably.

Photoshop Training and Photography Training Tutorials - Software Cinema - Tinkertubes

For lighting things, diffusion panels are extremely useful, and they allow you to use inexpensive lights, like work lights or whatnot, and you could do your video lighting with good results. You do not absolutely need a lot of space to do many types of photos or videos, but GOOD lighting is always a benefit.

maybe your brother can move out then?

I agree with Derrell, you are getting ahead of yourself with too much construction. I would keep it portable, your going to move out and the construction will stay, you can take a backdrop/dividing wall made from PVC pipe and cloth with you.

I would lay out a final plan for the area (say you want the half-bath, but that may be in the future so just determine now where it is best located - where are current plumbing lines to tie into).

I would definitely check the electrical and budget for that area, breakers/outlets/grounding/switches/lights plus any ventilation, heating or cooling that may be required.

I would spend on a decent mic and mic-preamp before doing a lot of construction for sound control. A lot of sound control can be done with some carpet remnants and other very cheap solutions.

Being able to leave the lightstands/tripod/backdrop/micstands/mixer/computer set up is the main time saver. I would pick up used furniture, but start with the minimum (most 10x10 studios I have been in only have a stool for a person or a table for product photography).

I know how you feel, I was able to set up a home darkroom in high school and it really helped to have a place where everything could be left in its place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back