How to get really authentic candid shots of strangers!?

My wife has this attitued as well :grumpy:

You've never wanted to shoot a street performer? Never seen someone playing with a dog in a park almost as big as them, or someone with garishly bright clothing standing out from a dullish 'suit n tie' sort of crowd, people with "unusual" hairstyles, people looking out of place, people showing some particular emotion and thought "Wow, that'd be an interesting shot"?

A street performer is one thing. I'd shoot that. Because he's performing -- making himself an object.

I just wouldn't feel right about shooting pictures of people I don't know, unless they saw my camera and asked me to or volunteered. I don't have a problem with it per se. Just not something I could do.

A street performer is one thing. I'd shoot that. Because he's performing -- making himself an object.

I just wouldn't feel right about shooting pictures of people I don't know, unless they saw my camera and asked me to or volunteered. I don't have a problem with it per se. Just not something I could do.

You may want to start your own thread about not liking Street Photography because I think the OP and the initial thread was for advice on taking Street photography unless I'm mistaken..
It's great you have an opinion but that wasn't what the OP had in mind, he/she is already wanting to enjoy taking Street photography is lacking the confidence so lets try and help... :)

You may want to start your own thread about not liking Street Photography because I think the OP and the initial thread was for advice on taking Street photography unless I'm mistaken..
It's great you have an opinion but that wasn't what the OP had in mind, he/she is already wanting to enjoy taking Street photography is lacking the confidence so lets try and help... :)

Good point. My apologies to the original poster.

and learn to prefocus... AF is NOT ideal for shooting from the hip...

Yes, and a smaller, less obtrusive camera with a wide angle lens would help-particularly because depth of field is not so critical.
Pre-focussing means you don't have to look directly at your subject or through the viewfinder-I've done this with a manual rangefinder resting on a table while talking to a friend-nobody even noticed the shutter being tripped.

My favorite focal lengths for shooting at the hip are
21mm on a crop
28mm on a full
on many occasions a 12mm.

The 12mm is simply just so much fun. You can't focus the 12mm as it is zone focus only but hyperfocal at f/5.6 on this lens gives you a DOF of a whopping 1.5 feet to infinity. The 21mm even on a crop is great because it roughly translates to your complete viewing field including your peripheral vision.

I simply set hyperfocal OR preset focus. There is enough DOF for error. When I'm walking the streets of NYC, I'll set to about 4 to 5 feet when it gets crowded and hyperfocal when the crowds open up to wider spaces. My guide is the length of my arm which is approx 2.5 feet + a little more. Sometimes, I'll preset to a distance and look for an object in focus. I'll take note of the object's distance and continue on. I will say one thing.... IT TAKES A LOT OF PRACTICE. It is fun though.

I was in NYC two days ago and it had been well over a year since I just went for a stroll shooting almost completely at the hip or quickly drawn. I was seriously out of practice.. it does show but it was fun just being out enjoying my "sick" day.

http://www.silveredemulsions.com/Personal/NYC_shootin_at_hip/

Hey, it's ok Donkey. No offense. But I also thank you, RebelTasha cause that was mighty nice of you. I'm a he by the way. ;) LOL

We're going out tomorrow to some heavily used trails in the NC mountains. Usually there are tons of hikers and people with dogs and what not. It's a wonderful place, but it's easy access and sees alot of people traffic( including myself when I can get up there). I'll try to get some shots of hikers/swimmers/dogwalkers/kids/whatever. I guess that's still "street photography" even though there's no street!? :)

Thanks for all the tips and feel free to keep em coming or discuss it further....i'm all ears all the time around here. :)

Most reactions

Back