how to get sharp pictures

itf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these last weekend, but they aren't as sharp as some of the pictures I see here. I was wondering why that is? Any help is appreciated. C&C is welcome too. These are straight out of the camera. No editing except resizing.

Camera: D5000 with 18-55mm vr kit lens

DSC_0329 by initial tofu, on Flickr

ISO 100
f/8
6sec

DSC_0327 by initial tofu, on Flickr

ISO 100
f/29
13sec

i have a manfrotto 732my carbon fiber tripod with manfrotto 494rc2 ballhead. it wasn't windy. i dont think mirror lockup is a feature on the d5000. i used the shutter button and autofocus.

i also took this with same lens, tripod, shutter button and af, but to me it seems a lot sharper.

DSC_0314 by initial tofu, on Flickr

i also took this with same lens, tripod, shutter button and af, but to me it seems a lot sharper.
Partly, because there is more detail in the image to guage sharpness.

I don't own any carbon fiber tripods. Aluminum works just fine for me, and the money I save goes to buy other things. I also don't use ballheads.

so would i need to photoshop to sharpen the image or are there ways to achieve sharpness out of camera.

thanks for the quick reply. im a newbie here so how do i give you thanks?

there is a black box on the right that says thanks, just clip on that from his comment

any c&c please?

I believe part of your issue could be the lack of light...you seem to have more light in the building shot you have and therefor its more sharp. But I agree with Keith, there is much more detail in the building shot and more shadows and blacked out areas in the other lake shot, that tend to make you perceive that it isn't sharp.

May I point out that in 6 seconds the trees have good time to move a little, making the edges less sharp. The building is, after all, not moving :) The bridge seems sharp as well, maybe because it's not moving.

Just something that may be a minor cause.

honestly? I like them. only if you were to print huge is it an issue.

remember, people have poor focus at night. we see things more blurry than in the day time

I find that as long as the closest object has enough detail to appear to be focused the scene is fine. what this does mean is you need a close subject that you want to be focused on or have your subject far enough that you don't care about the rest

the second bridge photo is my favorite

and in general, the color of these photos removes any worry about focus. I love the blue to orange to blue banding. it's what I focus on, not anything that's blurry

Most reactions

Back