***How to get started doing proffessional photography

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've read that recent thread and saw that some of you do portrait photography, advertising, or live concert photography. Actually, all of those appeal to me VERY much. I'm still looking for colleges that have good marketing, advertising, or art departments that are somewhat closeby (i live near houston). What do some of you proffessionals suggest i do to get started? I know that being a 'student' isnt a problem, since many of you are. thanks.

im working on that actually, thanks.

what about, say internships or starting with small portrait photography for friends? like getting started actually doing stuff with it. once i get good i mean.

Check out photographers who work in the area you want to go into.
Contact them and try and talk one of them into letting you assist. Be prepared to do anything - sweeping up, cleaning the toilets, washing his car - for little or no pay. Then work your way up.
Or you can go to College first and then work as an assistant.
Alternatively you can have a day job and do semi-pro work in your spare time.
Setting yourself up as a photographer full-time takes a lot of hard work and money and it can take a long time to establish yourself. If you can work with a photographer he will teach you the ropes, can help you get started on your own and enable you to make useful contacts.
But ask a dozen pros how they got started and you will get a dozen different answers.
The most important things to have are perseverance and dedication.

A useful place to start is with any hobbies or interests you have. If you're into martial arts, cars, brass-rubbing or whatever then you already have a group of people you can photograph and understand. The fact you can communicate at a more expert level with this group will help you with the photography and may provide some useful stock art for the future.

In my experience, local photographers are pretty arrogant with second-rate results and may well view you as a threat to their future. They tend to be school or wedding photographers who aren't very good, but their family built up the business years ago so they equate regular business with success in photography. You may, on the other hand, be blessed with a congenial natural teacher of photography who is running a local business and is looking for a well-paid assistant to operate his/her Hasselblad gear... If you are, then you are very lucky - use the opportunity.

Practice makes perfect. BTW, professional has one "f" :)

Rob

Most reactions

Back