How to get this lighting?

Gigga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How is this lighting effect done? Is there specific hardware that could lead me to this type of photography? Thanks!

Please do not post photos to which you do not hold rights. You may post a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unmodified flash on camera.

Something you should not copy, IMO.

Also, I presume this is not your photograph, so please take down the photograph and publish a link to it instead.

Not only should you not copy the type of lighting, but you should also not use images you don't have any rights to.

But, if you, for some strange reason, think the most common form of flash photography is something you want to emulate, it's stupendously easy.

Just make sure the flash is as close to the lens as possible and aimed in the same direction. You'll end up with utterly unflattering facial light, narrow, skinny shadows around everything and tons of glaring reflections.

Not only should you not copy the type of lighting, but you should also not use images you don't have any rights to.

But, if you, for some strange reason, think the most common form of flash photography is something you want to emulate, it's stupendously easy.

Just make sure the flash is as close to the lens as possible and aimed in the same direction. You'll end up with utterly unflattering facial light, narrow, skinny shadows around everything and tons of glaring reflections.

This sounds interesting. What was the picture?

About the most boring and unflattering shot I've seen in days. A woman in her skivvies leaning against the wall, a TV in a hutch netxt to here, and the feet of some person laying in bed. On-camera flash, with it's attendant harsh shadows and flat lighting, with obligatory glaring reflection in TV screen.

it looked like something took a shot using a polaroid with a flash bar.

Or a compact / P&S.

We get this type of "inquiry" every once in a while here. My hunch is that someone wants to catch a TPF member giving positive comments on a crap photo.

(description of photo)

The photographer and a young woman are in a cheap motel room. The man is lying on the bed with his shoes off, wearing trousers and socks. The woman is leaning on the wall is wearing what looks like it could be underwear or pajamas. A television set is directly opposite the photographer and reflects the flash as a bright spot. There is substantial fall-off of the flash which makes a progressively darkening circular artifact.

(further commentary)

Inquiries such as this raise a caution flag for me because I can't imagine anyone really wanting to copy the photograph.

We get this type of "inquiry" every once in a while here. My hunch is that someone wants to catch a TPF member giving positive comments on a crap photo.

(description of photo)

The photographer and a young woman are in a cheap motel room. The man is lying on the bed with his shoes off, wearing trousers and socks. The woman is leaning on the wall is wearing what looks like it could be underwear or pajamas. A television set is directly opposite the photographer and reflects the flash as a bright spot. There is substantial fall-off of the flash which makes a progressively darkening circular artifact.

(further commentary)

Inquiries such as this raise a caution flag for me because I can't imagine anyone really wanting to copy the photograph.

I was interested because OP wanted to know how to replicate a photo in which members here deemed as bad. I wanted to see for myself.

I think you can replicate the light by selecting a subject near a wall. Aim your flash at the subject, making sure it is set to "telephoto" (narrow beam). Snap the photo, and see if there is noticeable falloff from your subject out toward the outer edges of the circle of light.

To play devil's advocate for a moment and in defence of the OP, the on-camera flash look, whether we like it or not, is actually a very trendy look at the moment. American Apparel's entire branding is based upon the on-camera flash style and Terry Richardson made a very successful career out of it, shooting for Vogue, GQ and a whole host of A-List celebrities.

Whether we like the style or not is up to us, but the OP didn't ask whether we liked it or not, he asked how to emulate it. So, I think the "Don't bother, it's crap" or the "Why would you want to copy that?" remarks are neither helpful nor in the spirit of this forum, where we profess that it's a place to come and learn. I don't generally like shots of random people in the street, but I wouldn't berate anyone on this forum who wanted to shoot that stuff (and there are a LOT of those around here!).

Whether we like the style or not is up to us, but the OP didn't ask whether we liked it or not, he asked how to emulate it. So, I think the "Don't bother, it's crap" or the "Why would you want to copy that?" remarks are neither helpful nor in the spirit of this forum, where we profess that it's a place to come and learn. I don't generally like shots of random people in the street, but I wouldn't berate anyone on this forum who wanted to shoot that stuff (and there are a LOT of those around here!).
See? I answered his question yet my post gets no respect. How much more direct can an answer be? Direct and accurate. To the point. Helpful as heck.

You are a God among Men, and I revere you as such.

See? I answered his question yet my post gets no respect. How much more direct can an answer be? Direct and accurate. To the point. Helpful as heck.

You did indeed!

Most reactions

Back