How to Ghetto-Rig my backdrops?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know they make stands, but I don't really want to spend $130 on something at the moment. So, I'm looking for ideas on how to rig this thing up.

2 10x20 backdrops (black, white)
My wall is 8ft tall, and about 10ft wide. I am able to screw things into the wall if necessary, and I am certainly up for a project.

Requirement:
Be able to switch between black/white rather quickly

Any suggestions?

How about a handful of thumb tacks?

Or you could put some grommets in the fabric and some nails in the wall to hang them from.

I thought you posted this?!?

I would buy a piece of electrical conduit and 2 utility hooks (4" handy hook) from a local hardware store. $10.00 tops!

I would buy a piece of electrical conduit and 2 utility hooks (4" handy hook) from a local hardware store. $10.00 tops!

Ah I think I remember this response to another topic now. That sounds like it'll work great! Thanks so much for the advice! PERFECT!

Man you guys rock, as always.

Get a long curtain/shower rod maybe a tension fit if you can find one long enough. or the utility hooks and conduit,
and a bunch of shower curtain rings, than put both backdrops up, and slide back and forth to change them.

It might be a pain to put lots of holes and grommets in the backdrops, but at the restaurant where I work, be put up a large curtain to draw in front of the buffet, so while the band is playing the kitchen can shut down the buffet from the other side. We used rings with little clips that clipped to the curtain, to avoid putting in grommets.

The clips are like ID badge clips, like the ones with the ring on the top.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.badge-lanyard.com/badge-clip/im/badge-clip-8.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.badge-lanyard.com/badge-clip.htm&h=367&w=576&sz=32&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=1XDRZju3_cXDZM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=134&prev=/images%3Fq%3Did%2Bbadge%2Bclips%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26sa%3DN
I'm not sure where we got them , In sure it was local, and knowing my boss I'm sure it was cheap. They hold surprisingly strong if you slide from the rings rather than the curtain.

My hubby is a electrician and he bent up some thin wall 4 me with shower curtian hooks. it works flawlessly and collapses in seconds to store in the closet

it seems everyone on here is using pvc to make little softboxes so why not use some to make a stand?

I used some aluminum rods at lowes. They wre like $4 for a 10 ft pc and I had them cut them the length i need. I then use C hooks or I suppose you could use Hook and I hooks and I just rest the pipe in the hooks. I got tech'cl and drilled holes inthe pipe and placed them over the hooks so they couldn't fall. But I deal with only children. My New studio Will have a suspended enclosed system but for not this works great! And yes-I did purchase a $250 background stand from B and H when I first got started. I never use it except when I do In home sessions. HTH!

Most reactions

Back