How to give Critique

amolitor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is just my take on it, I don't claim this is The Law.

First of all, almost nobody makes a photograph to show off how well they can focus, or expose. They want to make an impression, so everyone who can see is qualified to give critique. Photographs are not made for Special People with Special Knowledge, they're made for people. Are you a people? Then it's made for you.

Step 1 is to see if the photographer has asked for something specific. If so, it's certainly polite to cover that specifically. Personally, if I don't have any input on the specific request, I won't say anything. If I do have something to say, then I feel ok branching out a bit and covering anything else I find interesting. I just figure it's rude to ignore the request, and still take up the original poster's time with a reply. If there's no specific requests, then skip to Step 2!

Step 2 is to see if there's anything about the photograph you have any particular skills and interest in. What can you bring, that will be helpful? If you've shot portraits, or macro, or fashion, even in a small way, you may well have some specific commentary to make about that kind of photograph. This is really where TPF shines, we have skilled people making pretty technical contributions. You can be one of them! Whether or not you have something to say here in Step 2, move ahead to Step 3!

Step 3 is really where everyone gets to play. I think it's the most important kind of critique, and it's something internet forums are not good at. Photographs are made for people to look at. So, look at the photograph and just type what you think. DO you like the picture? Do you hate it? Great. Say that! Can you talk a little maybe about why you like it or hate it? Great, say that too. Does the photograph make you think or feel something? Does it almost make you think or feel something? Let's hear it! This is the stuff that really matters, isn't it?

The one place I personally avoid comments as in step 3 is where I know it's simple prejudice on my part. There's no point in me saying "I hate it, because I think macro shots are dumb". The most interesting photographs are the ones where I ought to like it, because of the subject, or the way it was shot, or whatever, but I don't. I think these are the photographs where I can really contribute something useful to the photographer, so I try to do that.

I disagree with the first statement. Maybe I am just weird but I go looking for situations that are technically challenging and try to get the perfect exposure and focus. Often the subject is secondary to me learning how to get perfect low-light focusing and the right mid-day exposure and so on... That way when I am faced with the do or die situation I know I will get the perfect shot rather than second guessing myself.

Steps 1-3 are bang on.

Perfect Amolitor! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back