How to hand hold telephoto lenses?

I still lung it around all day. No issue.
I'm not saying it's not right for you or anyone else. I'm saying it's not right for me. I tried it, it made getting the shot 3 times harder so I don't use one. If you use it and it works then that's all that matters.

Back to the OP.
The best you can do is practice. The more time you spend with the lens, the better you will become at getting a steady shot.
Pay attention to your body while shooting though. If your back/neck etc start to hurt, your not supporting the weight correctly.

I don't hand hold teles very well. If I can't shoot at 1/1000 or faster, I use a tripod.

I shoot a lot of pistol from time to time. Believe it or not, it is a lot like shooting long telephotos. Hold your breath and release between heart beats.....lol.

You need to support the lens well,and try to keep it steady, and level too, like this: 1000.jpg

I have a friend who shoots cameras and firearms and he says that there is a lot of crossover technique. I can shoot about two to three stops under the Rule of Thumb. I hold the lens/camera so it is balanced in my left hand, smash the body against my nose and gently 'squeeze' the shutter release. Often when shooting with a long lens, you're shooting action, something moving, so you're watching, watching watching ... getting all tense keeping the subject in focus, waiting for some spectacular action. When the subject catched a ball or swoops up a fish, the photog get all excited and jams the shutter release ... no, no, no. Have the shutter release depressed to the point where it is just a gnat's hair away from 'firing' ... so, when you're ready all you need to do is a slight muscle twitch ... a squeeze with minimum effort and camera shake.

When shooting low shutter speeds I conscientiously try to calm and slow everything down, my breathing, my heartbeat (at least I mentally tell it to slow down), a mental relaxation. Normally I firmly grip the camera and lense, with low shutter speeds I loosen my grips just a tad, a physical relaxation. When possible I'll lean against something for additional support.

Since there is a segment of people that LOVES youtube videos here ya go. :allteeth:

I hand hold the 500mm I also use it with a gimbal head on a tripod. I also use the 500 with a monopod. For me it all depends on what I'm shooting. I love using the gimbal heading when I go hiking and plan to setup for anything over 3 hours. I find the keeper rate increase greatly when I use the gimbal head and the monopod

Most reactions

New Topics

Back