How to handle clients....a few questions

eilla05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do you handle clients who do the following:

Call/text you at all hours of the night literally one texted me a 1:45am! Another 10:45pm and another 11:20 pm.

Send you emails/Fb messages once you have given them their images ( I currently give on CD) asking why they don't have X pose and X pose. I always tell clients they may not see all poses they remember doing for a variety of reasons before we begin our session. So the information was put out there yet I have had a few clients who ask me still and then act upset when I tell why.

Clients who call/email you the day after and every day until you are done asking if their images are ready.

Clients who send you repeated messages asking you to post pictures on Facebook from their session.

Clients who send you a message 2 weeks after you have given them their images asking for your unedited photos from the session.

Please tell me I am not alone in this? I have had all of the above numerous times and I am tired of repeating myself. Is there anything I can do to help limit the number of times this happens??

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you are priced for bottom of the barrel clients.

If you are a business, you should have a business phone, and then the calls and texts won't be a problem.

The texts and calls at all hours? No clue. Never had that happen. Got one bride I turned down who started sending massive amounts of texts to my phone. I'd get 4 or 4 a minute for about an hour. Couldn't receive anything else, couldn't call out, couldn't get a call thru until I blocked her number. But the calls and texts beyond business hours? WOW. I don't know what to tell you there besides turn off your ringer. Keep your business and personal phones on separate numbers.

The rest? Two words: Manage Expectations
If you are managing every aspect of what the client should expect from you there shouldn't be a problem with any of that. My practice is to promise them less than they will receive. They think the extras are free things I threw in when in reality they are not.
They get all kinds of information on what to expect, FAQ, etc. In there I have a blurb about posing and the extra shots that they don't see. I have a blurb in there about editing-or not editing, facebook images... EVERYTHING. I tell them for portraits the turn around time is 3 weeks when in reality it's 1. For their orders to come in it's another 2 weeks-when it's usually just days to a week max.
Basically you take what your standards are and make the client expect later, less, etc... then over deliver. It will get rid of a lot of that.
As for the phone calls? I have to think you are dealing with some incredibly young people with no manners? Maybe you need a better clientele? LOL!

If you are a business, you should have a business phone, and then the calls and texts won't be a problem.

Wow. Quite honestly I am not sure what to say to that first statement other than I am priced according to my current skill level and market.

I have a business phone however I use my cell phone to give to clients on the day of their session in case they are running late etc. I am not a "huge" business therefore I can't afford the expense of a business only cell phone.

The texts and calls at all hours? No clue. Never had that happen. Got one bride I turned down who started sending massive amounts of texts to my phone. I'd get 4 or 4 a minute for about an hour. Couldn't receive anything else, couldn't call out, couldn't get a call thru until I blocked her number. But the calls and texts beyond business hours? WOW. I don't know what to tell you there besides turn off your ringer. Keep your business and personal phones on separate numbers.

The rest? Two words: Manage Expectations
If you are managing every aspect of what the client should expect from you there shouldn't be a problem with any of that. My practice is to promise them less than they will receive. They think the extras are free things I threw in when in reality they are not.
They get all kinds of information on what to expect, FAQ, etc. In there I have a blurb about posing and the extra shots that they don't see. I have a blurb in there about editing-or not editing, facebook images... EVERYTHING. I tell them for portraits the turn around time is 3 weeks when in reality it's 1. For their orders to come in it's another 2 weeks-when it's usually just days to a week max.
Basically you take what your standards are and make the client expect later, less, etc... then over deliver. It will get rid of a lot of that.
As for the phone calls? I have to think you are dealing with some incredibly young people with no manners? Maybe you need a better clientele? LOL!

Lol I wouldn't disagree you with on that last bit... I need better clients and the people who are doing it are young! Seniors to be exact. Thank you for the advice I appreciate it! I do give them information but guessing it just goes over these peoples head instead of sinking in.

Wow. Quite honestly I am not sure what to say to that first statement other than I am priced according to my current skill level and market.

I have a business phone however I use my cell phone to give to clients on the day of their session in case they are running late etc. I am not a "huge" business therefore I can't afford the expense of a business only cell phone.

Then you are not priced to be a successful business, that covers costs of doing business, such as seperate business phones.

You say you are not a "huge" business. I am not sure what you are trying to say other than you are not making enough money to be a proper business. Do you have a Million Dollar Liabilty insurance plan? Have you made a business plan?

Then you are not priced to be a successful business, that covers costs of doing business, such as seperate business phones.

You say you are not a "huge" business. I am not sure what you are trying to say other than you are not making enough money to be a proper business. Do you have a Million Dollar Liabilty insurance plan? Have you made a business plan?

I have a business plan however I just started charging a month ago, literally. Therefore when I say "huge" that is what I mean. I just started and until I build a reputation and get more in my portfolio my cost is what it is. I have a separate business phone but not a cell phone for business. As soon as my business takes off I plan to add a business only cell.

I am not sure what your implication of not being a proper business is. You don't just start out overnight and charge $500 to clients unless you have previously been working or have a large portfolio. I am assuming based on your comments you charge way more than I do. While that might be fine for you and your business market where I am located it wouldn't fly. Even the best photographers in this town do not charge anywhere near what you are implying. I know my market and what my current portfolio and skill level are. As I build on both of those I will adjust my pricing to reflect both.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my thread but I feel a little belittled by them. This board is for all levels of photographers who are charging for their work be it $5 or $5000 and for help in doing so at least that is what I thought it was for. If this is the wrong board to ask the question I posed feel free to point me in the right direction.

You need to look into Google voice.

I call it Lemonade Stand Photography.

Sorry, I am "Olde School", where you learned your craft, went to work for others to continue learning under the guidance of others, and then when you think you are ready, you jump ship and open your own business being able to offer good quality at the going market rates. As opposed to beginner rates, advanced beginner rates, intermediate rates...

Lemonade Stand Photography, isn't really a business, but a paid hobby, that doesn't really make money, just like a child selling lemonade for 25¢, even though the parents are losing 50¢ a glass.

Spending years working for others in your field, gives you a vast education in business that you will never get in school. It gives you experience seeing how an existing successful business handles the problems you are bringing up here.

Sorry if you feel belittled. It is my opinion that a real business is not one that is learning the very product they are selling.

Both my husband and I run our own businesses. We often get texts late at night (I got one last night at 12:30 am!) honestly, I think some people are just up and doing things late at night. They figure its a text and you will read it when you wake up in the morning. It isn't like they expect you to respond that late. I turn our phones on silent at 8:00 because I don't want my kids woken up by our phones so it doesn't bother me.

Although I have only done free shoots I specifically tell my 'clients' that I am taking the files home to process and they can expect them in about a week. I have never had anyone bug me about them. Same goes with my other business...I always give people an estimated completion time ( I usually over estimate).

I have never had anyone ask for unedited files. Or for certain poses we attempted that didn't work out. I would tell a client that I do not give out unedited files. Also I would tell them I only share photos that meet certain standards so if an image is below these standards it will not be shown. All sub-par images (oof, blinking, weird faces, etc) are deleted immediately.

If you have a contract you can write all of this in that so people know what they should expect from you. I think communication and telling your clients exactly what to expect is key to success for any business.

First mistake, giving a client your cell phone number, all you are doing is setting yourself up for the text and calls. You make an appointment for the shoot, if they are running late you wait until they get there, most people do show up on time for photo shoots. You have to set business hours, you have to tell your clients that they will receive the finished images within a certain number of days, and deliver on time. If they want a few for facebook, you tell them they can have a few. I work with my clients on the phone or e-mail, no text, no cell phone.

If you are going to run a professional business, treat it like a professional business, not an extention of facebook friends. You say that you are have only just started charging a month ago, so based on your skill level you'll shoot for whatever you can get. How long have you been shooting for and what kind of background do you have?

Please read this blog from the beginning to current. It's going to take you some time, but do it. It's well worth it. THIS post is probably the launch point for why I think you need to read his blog. Then the follow ups to it. Then everything after it about business.

I get tired of the answer "I am cheap because no one can afford me if I weren't..." YOU can't afford you when you think that way. Quit thinking with YOUR wallet and your friends wallets. They are NOT your clients, they are not luxury item clients. Value yourself and your work. Quit running a lemonade stand.

Most reactions

Back