how to handle DSLR in long trekks?

And a d3300 is quoted 700 shots per battery, but it will vary like if you use IS, live view etc
does VR really eats up lots of battery?

Everything uses battery power; metering, VR, autofocus, LCD, everything. If you're going to be away from power to recharge your batteries for 8 days I'd recommend taking 8 battery packs. MINIMUM. If you run out of battery power you might as well not even have a camera with you.

The after market batteries I bought were more mAh than the OEMs and last about 15 - 20% longer than the OEMs. (same voltage and chip)
My Nikon film camera uses batteries, but it has an auto winder on it.

Shoot film, no batteries required.
I think carrying 1 battery is easier than ~20 films for the equivalent number of shots.

I'd certainly look at getting more batteries (even with a solar powered charger).
If you can't recharge or have an excess supply of batteries you'll have to ration your shooting to make sure you get the best use out of your limited power.
I'm sure I'd want to take thousands of shots on a trip like that!

actually many of the old film cameras that still work require a battery

A button battery that powers the light meter will last for years.

I think carrying 1 battery is easier than ~20 films for the equivalent number of shots.

Not if there is no place to charge those batteries.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well how much do you plan on shooting, or having the camera on/in use? A single battery may only last a day, or possibly less. I'd look into a way to charge those batteries, like the aforementioned solar chargers. They may not completely charge a battery in a day, but if you have ~4 batteries you can always keep one on the charger and should be fine.

Not if there is no place to charge those batteries.

If the battery is charged before you leave it's easier to carry than 20 films. The 20 films can't be recharged either. If it means carrying 10 batteries to last the trip (which could be recharged & reused on subsequent trips) that's easier than 200 films. In my experience it can be considerably cheaper too.

I usually have the means to recharge my batteries so I only have 2-3 per camera.

Last edited:
India had a huge amount of solar power systems. Of course it is also easy to get away from it all. For an 8 day trek I would consider 5 batteries minimum and prefer 8. I would also take two chargers so when power is again available then make the most of it, while not having to carry too much extra weight. If you can just go with one extra battery then plan on an average of under 200 shots per day.

Have memory cards for the number of shots you expect to take, you do not want to try and delete photos during the trek as that will eat up the battery power.

Turn off all things that use extra power. Don't use the rear screen, especially not to show other people your pictures from the day. Do not use the flash. Turn off VR.

i dont have the money to buy more batteries now. i think i will stick with the things you said to conserve power

Most reactions

Back