How To Install Polarizer Filter...Help!

Nightsblood

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know, this may sound elementary to some but, not me. Ive got a Tamron 17-50 67mm lense, and I got a Hoya 67mm polarizer filter, but I cant figure how to get it on.

Does the clear lense thats on the Tamron screw off? Am I way off track? I dont want to go forcing stuff. Someone advise me, please.

Yes, the filter that's already on there is probably a haze filter and is more to protect the front of the lens. Just unscrew it and replace it with the polarizer. Use a light touch because if you squeeze the sides of the filter too hard you can make it bind up when you try to remove it.

You could just put the CPL on top of the Haze filter if you really can't get it off.

Dont think that'll work. Filters the screw on type and its the same size as the stock filter ring.

The UV is probably threaded also. Most are stackable, although it really isn't advisable because of the increased risk of flare.

Filters can often get 'stuck' and are hard to unscrew. If there is a filter on the lens, keep trying (be careful) and you should eventually get if off. You might need a 'filter wrench'...or just stop by a good photo store and see if they can get it off for you.

To avoid a stuck filter, is a pencil on the threads before you install it.

Here's the filter wrench that Mike was talking about. Your local camera store will most likely carry something similar.

Filter Wrench at Adorama

OK, Ive tried everything Ive found to do. Apparently, rubber gloves and rubber shoe soles are the trick but, no go on mine.

I guess I'll take her to the camera store tomorrow or pick up the wrench. Ive been beaten by a 2 ounce filter!

Just a quick question: Can I use a polarizer filter+ a UV filter at the same time? I really don't want my lens to not be covered in the time I switch from a UV to a polarizer. Haven't bought one yet...

Most reactions

Back