how to make this picture more interesting?

syphlix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregorytran.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i took this picture on my street a while back...

when i look at it... it looks kinda boring to me... though i feel like there should be some way i can shoot it that still looks cool to me but makes it more interesting...

does anyone have any advice on how to re-frame or compose it differently to make it look appealing?

3754280077_274f9f3d7c.jpg

Do a little PP and see what you come up with. Hear is something i did with it. Not the best but better.

3754280077_274f9f3d7c.jpg

I'd try standing closer to the curb and shoot a bit more toward the homes. Part of the appeal of NYC streets are the old brownstones and front stoops. ;)

A different perspective: much lower or higher. Stepping furter to the right was a good suggestion.

Having that bright pool of light in the middle doesn't help any. The two people on the stoop are to close to the edge of the frame. It looks weird there is nothing for them to look at.

I tried several things in Photoshop but nothing really made it pop.

How to make any image more appealing:

1) Don't take the shot at anywhere near a person's eye level, if you can see it by just standing there then why take a picture of it in the first place?

(Even if this wasn't actually near eye level, note that it feels like it)

2) Have a purpose in mind, what is it you are trying to capture? Do you like how the lights seem to pour out onto the concrete? Do you like how the repetitious bars going down the street line up? Keep in mind the theory of Gestalt : Unity, repeating patterns, closeness, negative space, and alignment.

3) Remember your thirds!

4) Remember that objects as well as light create weight in an image, the houses look and feel heavy so having them in the picture is going to make the person to want more space on the right!

5) profit

Just some suggestions when trying to make something look better, it works for anything, art, music, cooking, just generic idealism :)

Most reactions

Back