How to manipulate Nikon D90 using the command buttons in a particular scene?

Orbitz2011

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi There,

Got a Nikon D90 two weeks ago and as of this moment, I am still in a learning stage. This is my first DSLR. Now my question, is it more convenient to use the command buttons: M,A,S,P or is it okay to use the scene mode such as the Macro, Portrait, Landscape, Sports? I read some reviews that is it suitable to place this command on Aperture "A" mode or Manual "M" while adjusting such Aperture, ISO and Shutter Speed. There's the time that I place the command in "M" mode and tried to shoot but the image appeared as Black and White, not colored. Did I set the settings wrong or what? In general shooting, which among these command should I prefer to use more often: M,A,S,P or the scene mode: Macro, Portrait, Landscape, Sports?
Secondly, how can I get a nice shot by adjusting the Aperture, ISO and Shutter speed? Supposing I will used my SIGMA 70-300 DG APO MACRO & if there's not enough light in outdoor shoots - should I set aperture into lower f/stop and set the ISO a little bit higher?how about the shutter speed?

Sorry for lots of questions.

Your great recommendations, advise and suggestion is very much welcome.

Thanks,
Orbitz2011

I love my own D90 but I can tell you from first hand experience that you must spend some quality time with the manual and it might not hurt to get another book that's a little less "technical text" that will take you through your camera controls and menus. I've gone through the manual, bought a book and downloaded a Ken Rockwell app for my iphone for those moments when I just couldn't remember what this or that nob, wheel or menu did -- but of course I need those guides less and less the more I use my camera.

Scene modes and auto will usually get you a halfway decent photo (not always but most of the time it will be passable) and you'll get lucky once in awhile and end up with something that you really really love but you won't really LEARN how to use the camera that way.

Regarding the black and white photo... manual had nothing to do with that. It sounds like you might have been playing in the menus and changed a setting. It's easy to change stuff and then forget and wonder what the heck happened later. You can reset the D90 (ie: return to default settings) by holding down the two buttons with the green dots on the right top of the camera -- the exposure compensation button (with the +/- symbol) and the AF button. Just hold them down at the same time... the display will flash and the camera will reset -- no more crazy settings. Once you've learned what settings you prefer, you just have to readjust them after the reset. I know there's a way to program a custom setting that you can activate with a few clicks but I haven't felt the need to that yet myself. I'm still learning and changing stuff all the time to see what works and what doesn't. For myself, I find it best for me when I have go through and change settings each time I get my camera out (ie: my white balance preferences, ISO, etc) because practice makes perfect. :)

Enjoy your new camera! Have fun and play with it but don't neglect to take the time read the manual and get to know the various functions. I finally started making time to really understand my camera because I started feeling guilty for shooting Auto 9 time out of 10. My internal Jiminy Cricket was telling me that if all I wanted was a point and shoot camera I could have saved myself a LOT of money.

~ Hoodat Whatzit

Enjoy your new camera! Have fun and play with it but don't neglect to take the time read the manual and get to know the various functions.

Hi,

Thanks for the time sharing your thought. As of this moment, I digged myself reading the D90 Manual in order for me to learn much on how adjust the different controls.

I personally advice you to download d90 video tutorials from youtube and learn for yourself.

They show pictorially how to change the settings and thus can help you out not reading scores of pages.

Keep clicking ...

Regards,
Ruvati
D90 + 50mm f1.8

I personally advice you to download d90 video tutorials from youtube and learn for yourself.

They show pictorially how to change the settings and thus can help you out not reading scores of pages.

Keep clicking ...

Regards,
Ruvati
D90 + 50mm f1.8

HI Mr. Ruvati,

Thanks for the advise.
Yes, Ive had busy watching the tutorial in Youtube since last night..and it was awesome to know directly
...sorry to say this but for me watching is better than reading a manual...swear! Uon watching the tutorial videos..
Ive learned so many things like shooting in sunrise, sunset,
how to blur the background (bokeh),
blurring the background and make your subject stands out in motorcoss and car racing...
blurring the waterfalls and seawaves adjusting your main exposure to get a standsout shots..
Great!!!!

Thanks,

...sorry to say this but for me watching is better than reading a manual...

Awwww... I forget sometimes that I absolutely love to read and that not everyone else is as into it as I am. Although I do appreciate Ravuti's reminder about the videos. I'll have to check them out.

~ Hoodat Whatzit

Most reactions

New Topics

Back