How To: Multiple exposure without flash

Jbs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-detail.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We've all tried going into a dark room with the shutter on bulb and firing off the flash every time we have a new interesting pose, but that limits you to only dark environments, and gives you this ghostly transparent appearence, which is usually not what you're going for.

Here is a much easier way to get the same effect (without ghosting and in bright environments).

step 1 - set up the camera. set it on a tripod or ledge (or dresser like i did here) with a remote shutter and the self timer set. the camera cannot move otherwise you will have to start over, so keep that in mind.

step 2 - Meter for the scene and set the camera on manual, so not to change the exposure etc

step 3 - take a different picture for each pose, making sure not to move the camera at all or move the enviroment

step 4 - open up photoshop, use the picture where you are back the furthest as the 'base' or background layer

step 5 - open up another image where you are second farthest to the back and crop yourself out (polygonal lasso tool or pen tool, whichever you prefer). paste that into the 'base' image as a new layer. align it and take off any excess so it blends in and doesn't cut off any of you in the previous layer.

step 6 - repeat for however many different images you took, moving from back to front

step 7 - merge all layers and do the routine post processing (USM, curves, color adj, etc)

that's it.. it is a lot easier than using the flash. plus you can do it where ever!

hopefully this image explains it a little more if that didn't completely make sense (i am a little short on time).

multihowwp2.jpg

and the final result:

img4460nu5.jpg

I did this with one of my sons on a playground. I had 37 copies of him in different positions. It was an awesome shot. I printed an 8x10 of it and it's on our fridge at the house. Unfortunately I have lost the file!

Everyone should try this! It's fun.

I did this with one of my sons on a playground. I had 37 copies of him in different positions. It was an awesome shot. I printed an 8x10 of it and it's on our fridge at the house. Unfortunately I have lost the file!

Everyone should try this! It's fun.

Its definitely a lot of fun!

Most reactions

Back