How to open RAW files is CS3?

Karen2582

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
I'm just did my first photo shoot in RAW and now can't open any of the pics in photoshop! Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks!

CS3 may be to old to open RAW files from your camera. You can try updating to the highest level of Camera RAW CS3 supports.To update open Photoshop, click on Help > Updates

Edit: I did some searching for you.

CS3 only supports Camera Raw 4.x (current is 6.x) and here is a list of the cameras that CS3 can open the Raw files from: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402444.html

If your camera is newer you will either need to upgrade to CS5 ($199 if you have a registered copy of CS3) or you will need to convert the files to the DNG format. Here is a summary of what to do when having problems opening Raw files: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407110.html

By the way, NAPP members get 15% off all Adobe software, including upgrades. (NAPP = National Association of Photoshop Professional. See NAPP member 'Benefits' at the top of this page here: http://www.photoshopuser.com/?aid=luhgxq

Last edited:
right click raw file --> open with --> select adobe cs3 or choose program then pick cs3.

It is either an update problem (my CS3 did not support my raw out of the box) or something else. If you've just installed PS, it's probably just a matter of updating ... just let the updater do its thing. If updating doesn't work, open a support case with Adobe.

What camera are you using? The Adobe Camera Raw supplied with CS3 will not open RAW files from the newer cameras (and cannot be updated beyond a certain level).

I have a canon t1i...so does this mean it's time to upgrade photoshop already??

I have a canon t1i...so does this mean it's time to upgrade photoshop already??
New releases come out about every 18 months.

Did you look on the for the T1i in the link I posted for you? Sorry! Canon always gives 6 difffernt names to their cameras depending what part of Earth they sell them. The T1i in the US is also known as a 500D in other parts of the world, and is not supported by Camera 4.x and CS3.

Last edited:
You can open and edit the RAW files in the software that came with your camera, make adjustments then export into photoshop as TIFF files.

You can open and edit the RAW files in the software that came with your camera, make adjustments then export into photoshop as TIFF files.

Bingo. What I came in to suggest. You don't have the possibility to open those RAW files directly into PS CS3, but the Canon utility can export them in Tiff (with no image quality loss) and then you can open the Tiff in PS fine. Only real option besides upgrading.

Okay I changed them to tiff, but now is it possible to make them into jpeg??

If you import them into CS3 as TIFF, CS3 can save them as JPEG (Save As command).

I can open mine in Adobe Bridge CS5. I don't know if earlier version will do the same but something to check into.

using cs3 and clicking "save as" Jpeg isn't an option :( I downloaded Contenta Converter and had them converted to jpeg, but now can't find them anywhere on my computer! I think RAW was a bad idea :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back