How to pick the right SD card

houstonguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi. I'd like to buy new SD card for my Sony DSCH70. Reading Sony's specs on the camera, I can't find any info on SD card so I am writing you here as I know the experts here will lead me the right way!

First, trying to figure out if this camera supports SDHC and/or SDXC. Also I'd like to find out the optimal card class for this camera. My understanding is that if you purchase a card with a class in excess of the camera's capacity, you will not achieve the speed improvements.

I'd appreciate any help you can provide! THANKS!

Let me google that for you

Camera supports SD, SDHC and SDXC.

Find out your camera write speed and buy a card that is roughly the same (or slightly faster) to gain optimal speed.
A card that is way faster than your camera is useless. You can never go faster than your maximum camera write speed.

Flash memory card speed ratings refer to the upload (read) speed, not the speed the card can be written to.

The camera's write buffer is usually the limiting factor for write speed. Most consumer grade cameras need no better than class 6 memory cards for recording still photos.

Rob Galbraith DPI: CF/SD/XQD Performance Database

Thank you for clarifying. I'll just go with a class 6. Thanks again!

Faster cards can also speed up the export times. If you have a lot of pics on one card, that can make a big difference.

Are you using an iPad? SDXC cards (which use the exFAT file system) have problems when used with the camera connection kit whether in the card slot or in the camera, SDHC works fine. I don't know if iOS 6 supports SDXC / exFAT and I haven't switched to iOS 6 yet so I can't just try it. Older versions of Windows may need a patch to read exFAT SDXC cards, but I think that everything from XP Service Pack 3 onwards will be OK (I have XP SP3 on one of my computers and it works with SDXC after patching).

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to get a class 10 SDHC. At least I'll have extra speed if/when I need it. Yes, I have an iPad but don't have a camera connection kit yet. Well, I did buy some thing that plugs into iPad power port and enables direct download from inserted sd card. But I never go it to work. My iPad won't recognize it. Probably because I bought a cheapy made in China connection kit on eBay. I'll probably splurge for the real deal sometime so it will work!

Most reactions

Back