how to politely decline shooting a wedding

Intersting thoughts Bandahi... I thought of that myself. And still need to think more about what to do. Overall, I'd rather have my cousin have some excellent shots (if I have them) than not at all. And if that means pissing off any family, then fine. Whats important on the bottom line is that my cousin has pictures that she will treasure for a lifetime, no matter who took them.

I agree!!! I like the composition of these pictures. It's a little soft but I think it kinda work with the pictures. Either way, good job.

Here's a few more. Feedback appreciated.
dawn1.jpg

dawnshoes.jpg

2 of my cousins
brianbecca.jpg

Intersting thoughts Bandahi... I thought of that myself. And still need to think more about what to do. Overall, I'd rather have my cousin have some excellent shots (if I have them) than not at all. And if that means pissing off any family, then fine. Whats important on the bottom line is that my cousin has pictures that she will treasure for a lifetime, no matter who took them.

lol.. you butchered my name.

i totally agree. your cousin deserves excellent shots, regardless of who took them.

whatever your decision, i hope your family takes it maturely.

Those are some really great shots there! As for the choice one, I like the second pic better. The colours just seem less harsh on your granddad's face, and the photo has a nice warmth to it.

And the others, just wow. It must've been really hard taking photos for family, and you've managed to pull it off darn near perfectly. Great stuff.

Now for the "pro"'s photos. Hold on to your flame shields, everyone! :D

First one.
I'd remove the white vertical strike at the bottom of his Jacket. I think it disturbs the composition.

Third cent:
You wanted to take the pics' for her.
Give her the ones you choose to give.

The dogs bark, and the caravan goes by...

I appreciate the commments here!

Bahandi, sorry for butchering your name :(

Tamiya, I appreciate that!

Ben, GOOD EYE man! Thats my grandfathers cane, I didn't catch that at all. I'll fix that for sure.
Your third cent is bang on. I messaged one of my cousins that I AM close to and I'm going to explain all about how I feel with regards to the situation. That I *may* have better pics than her "pro" friend but don't want Dawn to see them and feel regretful that she didn't trust me to pull her aside on her wedding day to get shots. Thats my biggest issue.. I want her to have the shots regardless of who took them, but I just don't want my cousin feeling badly one way or another about the whole situation. How to avoid it...

Kudos to the way you handled it, Kelly. I pray that now you can revive your relationship with your mom.

<<....I messaged one of my cousins that I AM close to and I'm going to explain all about how I feel with regards to the situation. >>

Why explain to anyone every consideration you make?

<< ....That I *may* have better pics than her "pro" friend but don't want Dawn to see them and feel regretful that she didn't trust me to pull her aside on her wedding day to get shots. Thats my biggest issue.. I want her to have the shots regardless of who took them, but I just don't want my cousin feeling badly one way or another about the whole situation. How to avoid it... >>

Many times, others don't see what you see in the shots.

Here and there, there were some occasions (product photography), when I found myself insisting against the choices of clients.
I tried to explain in depth. When I saw that they can't understand, or that there's no point in trying to explain, I said something like -
"Look, when you hire a professional, you count on getting much more than you could get by doing it yourself. As this is not your expertise, it boils down to the question of trust. If you feel you can trust me to do the best for you, then trust my judgment in this case.
I won't bend my judgment to the opinion of an inexperienced non-professional, and end up seeing something, which harms my reputation, published."

Flip a coin… one side says – "I give the best ones as well, regardless of the other photographer"… You like what the coin tells you? – go for it. You dislike the coins' suggestion? – you know what YOU want to do… :)

she's not smiling, but thats really my cousin right there. you can feel the nervousness here (well i can lol)

I really like the candidness of this shot. My only (unpro) comment on this photo is that I don't look at the bride, I look at the flowers first. I look at the bride second. Didn't know if that was your intent or not.

Most reactions

Back