How to reduce the file size of panoramic photoshop pictures?

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I made a really nice panoramic view of the NYC skyline, but the file is literally 800 MB large. I only had the option of saving as a tiff or psb. Is there anything I can do to reduce the size? I don't mind having to go back and redo the process. The panoramic is made up of 11 pictures, each anywhere from 5-11 MB large

Reload it and save it as a jpg. Or, resize it to a smaller dimension. Keep in mind, either way........ you're throwing away data.

Save the layered file as a .PSD after making a duplicate of the image - Image > Duplicate. Check the box in the duplicate dialog box that merges the layers.

With the duplicate image active, Click on Image > Mode> 8-bits/channel, to make sure the bit-depth is not 16-bits.

Once the bit depth is 8-bits, JPEG is one of the options in the Save or Save As dialog box.

lower the quality of the jpeg noob

Save the layered file as a .PSD after making a duplicate of the image - Image > Duplicate. Check the box in the duplicate dialog box that merges the layers.

With the duplicate image active, Click on Image > Mode> 8-bits/channel, to make sure the bit-depth is not 16-bits.

Once the bit depth is 8-bits, JPEG is one of the options in the Save or Save As dialog box.

I did this but still I cannot save in anything other than a psb, tiff, or one other thing that escapes me right now. I cropped and rotated the image a little and merged the layers, which brought it down to 250 MB. I just saved it as a tiff and opened it in iOS's preview then re-saved as a jpeg. The jpeg is still pretty large though - 58 MB. Is this typical?

The jpeg is still pretty large though - 58 MB. Is this typical?

If it's got a lot of pixels, it may not be. But the largest jpg pano I've got in my archives is a mere 28Mb. What's the pixel dimensions?

^If I'm reading it correctly, then 31507 × 2336 It's listed under dimensions on preview (iOS)

^If I'm reading it correctly, then 31507 × 2336 It's listed under dimensions on preview (iOS)

That sounds about right. My 28M is 16000 x 3900.

Most reactions

Back