How to roll a Black and White 36 ex. roll of film

Railphotog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Way back when I used film I used Patterson tanks that held three reels at one time. I loaded my own cassettes from bulk film and would sometimes get 40+ frames on a roll, but don't recall much trouble loading the reels. Practice makes perfect I guess.

addicted2glass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I have to practice no doubt:
Bruce Lee (or one of the other Karate champs) In order to encourage an older karate student was explaining how it now took him a half hour to warm up until he was limber enough to kick above his head. When he was younger he did not need a warm up.
So even if it takes me a half hour practicing each time to get the film on the spool
I must understand If I don't try the film will never get on the spool by itself!

David A Sercel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidaaronsercel.com
Loading film is one of those things that you've got to do over, and over, and over before it goes smoothly. But it's like riding a bike, once you've got it, you've got it, it's just a matter of feel and finesse.

Honestly, I really hate the plastic setups. Part of it is because I learned with stainless steel reels and tanks, and just feel more comfortable with them (plus I love that nice clean sound the film makes as it slides into the metal rails!). Just don't get the cheap metal reels--if they're a little out of shape it's just a mountain of frustration. I still use metal for both 35mm and 120mm film, and don't even own any plastic reels.

addicted2glass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
stainless steel?

I can get an idea what you mean about the feel compared to using plastic especially if I am going to be doing this in the dark.

Most reactions

New Topics