How to ruin an otherwise decent photo - competing light sources

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought about shutting off the light above the table in the dining room - 3 60 watt incandescent bulbs, but I didn't think they were giving off much light - especially compared to the daylight coming through the window on the other side. Well, lesson learned. Below are the results, as you can see the white blanket turned a combination of orange and blue. The WB setting was an AUTO. I have never notice this happen before. I'm sure that there is probably a way to fix this in PS, but I can't think of a quick way. I'm sure it will be tedious and might not even come out looking 100% natural.

CRW_6768_RJ.jpg

I notice you have a 430EX in your sig. Mmmmm...perhaps...perhaps.

I notice you have a 430EX in your sig. Mmmmm...perhaps...perhaps.

Yea, but I don't like to use the flash if I don't have to...probably should have in that case. I was too lazy to put it on (just like I was too lazy to turn off the light, lol):er:

ya plus its not tack sharp.

hows this for an easy solution

covert it to b&w :)

Yea, that's what I'll probably try...I'm not a huge fan of B/W although it does have its place.

BTW, I wasn't going for tack sharp for the whole picture...I like to have parts of my portraits blurred, such as the back of the hair and other body parts, etc.

The eyes are about as sharp as my camera gets for ISO 400. The nose and lips are pretty sharp too - I zoomed in 100%.

Ya, I noticed it was sharp actually when I opened it in LR.. on the web, it doesn't look super sharp to me for some reason.

Eh the conversions aren't all that wonderful.. just did it in 2 seconds. But the pic is savable, at least you know that much..

And also, I had thought the hand was blurred due to movement but I see you purposely did that for DOF reasons :)

I like the color edit...I wish there was just a bit more contrast with the B/W.

What did you do on the color edit to correct the color?

I did "auto tone" and "auto white balance", that fixed most of it. Then it became super bright, so I lowered the brightness (but did not adjust contrast)

Then the edges were still murky, so I vingetted on the positive side. Sort of ended up blowing it out though.

And sharpened. I think it could benefit from some saturation too :)

aww I just checked out your site.. I didn't know that was your own baby girl :) She is so gorgeous :D Your son is adorable too. I like the names you chose for them!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back