bleeblu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bleeblu.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I've got these presets for CS5 that can only be applied to RAW files using ACR to work properly. I want to, however, do some photo manipulation before applying the presets. How would I go about doing this?

I was thinking to do the manipulation first and somehow save in RAW and then opening ACR for the presets. So is there a way I can save in RAW? Or is there another way of going about this? Thank you in advance!

You can't "save" a RAW. What happens is the RAW processing software saves a separate file of all the changes that you made to the RAW and each time that software is opened up those saved values are reapplied to the photo data. Surely you could just start ACR - make what changes you want and then run the pre-set right after. No need to close ACR at all.

Ah, okay. Well I've tried to do everything in ACR but things start getting real slow because I'm applying a bunch of things to the picture.

Parametric editing is very math intensive. It takes time to do all the gamma encoding and colorimetric interpretation calculations. Remember Raw files have a lot of bit-depth.

If you want to really understand how best to use ACR I recommend the inexpensive book - Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5

Those guys are experts and were involved with starting Pixel Genius, LLC, the company that wrote the software that is ACR's Sharpening panel. So, another good book to have is - Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The thing to be aware of, is that technically a RAW file is not really an image yet...it's just the digital data from the camera's sensor. We can see the 'image' on the camera or when we open/preview the RAW file...but that is because it has an imbedded JPEG image.

So once you open the Raw file in ACR and then move onto Photoshop, the RAW file is rendered into an actual image, at which point you can save it as an image file type (JPEG, TIFF, PSD etc.) But you can't save it as a Raw file, because now it's an actual image.

Actually you could do your edits then convert a jpg to the dng raw format (DNG does not require a sidecar file). The catch is, it's pointless to do so and this ability has been removed over the years. So, you would need to get your hands on some really outdated software .. not worth the trouble.

bleeblu said:
Hello,

I've got these presets for CS5 that can only be applied to RAW files using ACR to work properly. I want to, however, do some photo manipulation before applying the presets. How would I go about doing this?

I was thinking to do the manipulation first and somehow save in RAW and then opening ACR for the presets. So is there a way I can save in RAW? Or is there another way of going about this? Thank you in advance!

Wouldn't the ACR presets work on any file type? You can open JPEGS in ACR as well. Or you could open the RAW file in ACR - adjust it then bring it to photoshop - save it as a tiff (or jpeg) after you do your photo manipulation. Then open the TIFF in RAW and apply preset.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back