How to - Scan Negatives using cheap scanner.

xamblin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, not sure how often this gets posted but I thought I would make a how to anyway :D

How to Scan Negatives with Cheap Scanners | eHow.com

scanner001_Full.jpg

First gather all materials. I am using a dell 810 all in one scanner, a old negative I found in the basement and my sidekick (menu + f) for light. The light will probably be the trickiest part. As long as its doing the same general thing it should be fine.

scanner002_Full.jpg

Here is an example of the kind of light you need for this.

scanner003_Full.jpg

I put the sidekick on Flashlight mode (menu + f) and position the negative over the light.

scanner004_Full.jpg

Place light and negative on scanner.

how_Full.jpg

This is what I got when I scanned. Your going to want to use a high dpi setting to get a quality scan.

how2_Full.jpg

Finially, when you invert the image, you get the finished scan.

:D

I have done the same with a small lightbox (the type used for viewing slides)

Hmm.. I have a film scanner, but i'm going to try this when I get home with my iPhone (with flashlight app). It could be useful for my negatives that have extreme curling that don't sit in the film tray properly.

That is very cool, thanks. Definitely going to try the glass/mirror thing. If that works it'll save me a round-trip of 50 miles when I need to get medium format negs scanned.

I tried it with my iPhone, but it didn't work. The scanner picked up each individual pixel from the screen.

I found that if you put a kind of translucent piece of plastic between the phone and the negative, it spreads the light out more evenly and gets rid of pixel/scratch marks.

Most reactions

Back