How to shoot in manual focus?

a1157814a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In some situations, I hate where my 'Auto focus' focuses so I want to learn how to manual focus. All I know is that my lens can switch back and forth between the two. But how do I manual focus? Surely, it's not like a knob on a binocular or microscope? At least mine isnt.. i think..

There should be a ring you turn on the lens. It's probably coated in rubber.

If it's a zoom lens there should be two rings - one for zooming, one for focusing.

There should be a ring you turn on the lens. It's probably coated in rubber.

If it's a zoom lens there should be two rings - one for zooming, one for focusing.

There is? I have the cheap nikon d40, only turning I can do( as far as I know) is the zoom.

I'm not familiar with the lens that comes with that, but it may be like the Canon kit lens. Instead of a focus ring, the front turns - it should at least be knurled if it's not rubberized.

Captured40.jpg

That's probably it.

I'll assume you're shooting with the 18-55 that came with it. Even with the 55-200, it's the same thing.

There is a switch on the side. It'll read M/A or just A and then M. Swtich it to M. You will grab the outermost part of the lens, turn it, and that's how it's focused.

~Michael~

yep ive just started manually focussing on my D40. Also if you didnt know about manual focus you may not know about selecting which set of brackets the AF chooses. If your in dynamic range you can use the button to the RH side of the view finder to select centre left or right, makes auto focus more useful, but ensure focus mode is not set to closest subject b4 u do this.

read the freakin manual

language aside I will echo the advice - when I got my camera the manual was always in the case/bag with it. It really helps when out in the field if you want to try something new or experiment (or just need a reminder) so never fear to dip into it. Infact I think its probably still in my bag (I have yet to use bracketing :))

Most reactions

Back