How to shoot when it is snowing?

Thaash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I would like to see some advices on what precautions to take when I want to take photos outside when it is snowing. Basically how to protect my camera and lens? I am especially interested in home-made solutions.

I got an EOS 50D which has some weather sealing but my lens, the Sigma 17-70 is not weather sealed.

Falling snow, by itself, shouldn't be too much of a problem. The camera probably won't be too warm, so the snow hopefully wouldn't melt on contact (unless it's really wet snow).

So just keep the snow from piling up on the camera and it should be OK....just use common sense. It it's snowing hard, use something to cover the camera. A plastic bag or even a hat or something.

A bigger danger may be when you bring the camera back into a warm location. If the camera is cold, condensation will form on the camera & lens, inside & out....and that can be a big problem. So when you bring the camera back inside, isolate it from the warm air by putting it into a plastic bag or at least zip it up in a camera bag. Let it warm up gradually before you open it up.

a lens hood will help with the front

think simple like mentioned. if it's sleet/snow cut a hole in a plastic bag close enough to the right size and tape it to the lens hood. you have another hole for your hands to go in

condensation is the big issue indeed. you want everything tight while waiting for the camera to warm up before pulling it out. we're not talking after 10 minutes outside but several hours. your camera will retain heat for a while. perfect would be to take it home via your car afterwards and have defrost on. defrost removes moisture from the air because it turns the AC on and warms up gradually

Most reactions

Back