How to stitch panoramas?

Val

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried in PS, but its a long and painful process :( Is there any miracle plug-in or other software to do it nice and easy? :D

Yep Panorama Tools, and PT Assembler, and Blender, and AutoPano SIFT, and all the other programs that PT assembler needs to run. Spend about a week figuring out how to configure it all. and Then you can make perfect panoramas in 1 click.

Oh it's still long and painful though. Especially the blender application maxes out my 2gb of ram almost instantly when working on a 10mpx image.

I use panorama factory by Smoke City Designs:
http://www.panoramafactory.com/

Runs about $80, you can import all your pics adjust the setting and click ok. It does a decent job usually. I had one recently though that never came out very well with it or with PS, but I didn't use a tripod. It was kind of spur of the moment kind of thing, and I did it better by hand than either program did. Took a Loooooong time though. 99% of the time, this program works pretty well especially if you use a tripod. Takes a while for it to churn out though if you have several images.

They do have a 30 day free trial though.

as already mentioned... get lots of memory in your conputer! especially if you work with 16 bit images and lots of megapixels in the images to stitch.

If you bought a Canon dSLR you should have gotten a CD with it that has "Canon PhotoStitch" on it... should also work, and at least its free ;)

Comp is fine, i have 4gb of ram and 2,4ghz x 4... Should be fine.

So far i tried PanaVue Image Assembler and a quick handheld pano, although greatly reduced in size since im on my laptop now. It worked great even though i left everyhting on auto.

Have you guys tried it? How does it compare to other soft?

It would be awesome if you wrote that you tried different progs and the ones you chose, instead of "i use this" :D this way everyone interested can decide which program not to use.

Just tried AutoPano Pro... Its leaps and miles better.

PF isnt very good at all apparently...

I know I'm late, but I use Hugin as the frontend with auto-pano sift. I haven't had problems other that poor exposures on my first, and the software can't fix that;)

try Serif, it is terrific, and the cost is not over the top , about 50 dollars.

I would suggest trying Photoshop again. Sounds like you are doing it manually which is painful. Go to the file menu then to automate and select photomerge.
You will be amazed! Select the type of effect you want, I use the reposition one, browse for the photos you want to stitch together, arrange them in the right order, click ok and your done.
It awesome!

MikeM
Pixel This Photography, Inc.

Would it be worth adding this information to the article on making panoramas, along with correcting the common error about the 'nodal point' instead of the entrance pupil?

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back