How to take baby photographs by roentarre

As a father of 3 there are some good tips there!

One thing I've found is that if a child is crabby, wait it out if you can. Trying to force the situation only makes it worse for everyone.

Excellent read!

My aunt is expecting soon, and would like some new born baby shots, so reading your tips have gave me some good ideas!

Thanks,
Jamie

Thank you guys for the feedback.

I do not do much baby assignments anymore as most mothers are hard to please as customers.

It is also very hard to convince some mothers that some babies are not that cute and photoshop are not going to perform miracle by metamorphosis of one facial structure to another.

However, it is ok to do it for a lower fee :)

I photograph up to 9 babies per week at my studio, and shot the new infant formula ad, four-page spread, that is out in People magazine and several others... In fact, I have to go this morning and grab the American Baby magazine as one of my workshop attendees yesterday brought one in and it has another two-page spread.

I could add a ton more to all of that, there is much more to it than you have listed and you will learn much more as you work more with babies, but because I actually am paid to teach photographers how to photograph babies, I can't really go into details... but you have a good start.

I don't find mothers hard to please at all... they are all absolutely THRILLED with what I give them. I prefer shooting babies because it is very easy to please the parents.... and I am sorry, but check my website out - EVERY baby can be cute.

Why would you have to photoshop a baby's face? You have to capture just the right expressions. No "one eye open one eye closed"... no grimaces... Again, I prefer babies because I can proof the images in under an hour - doesn't require much photoshop at all.

Have to agree with OP and Jodie.

It's a personal knack. I couldn't sit and watch a baby for an hour for that "special Moment". It's not something I am into.

Now sitting in the woods for an hour, waiting for that wood duck, or some other critter so show that "special moment". Woudn't bother me a bit.

It's a tomatoe/tomato thing.

But any way, good info.

If you try to use video to distract the baby so that he/she sits still enough to be photographed, you have to make sure the video doesn't reflect off the baby's face.

Most reactions

Back