How to take time-elapsed picture during the day.

ketekmelet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im a begginer here. Before I start, I wanna tell you guys that I am using a Nikon D40x with Nikkor 18-200mm vr. Great camera with great lense right?!?!

However, I have been trying to do this for awhile but never succeded. I have always wanted to take one of those time-elapse picture (for example: a shot of a highway that only shows streaks of lights but not the cars themself). I know that you need to set your shutter speed to be very low, but if I do this during day time, the result will just be white all over the screen. And I do want to do this during the day.

So it will be great if any of you can give me some pointers. How do I start setting my camera?

Thanks,
Ketekmelet

I think you would use ND Filters. Neutral Density. They block light without adding color. They come in different strengths and can be stacked. I have no experience with them, so I can't help out with what exactly to get, and what settings to use.

in my viscom1 class we learned about this shade control that was almost like sunglasses and im sure that would work

... I have always wanted to take one of those time-elapse picture (for example: a shot of a highway that only shows streaks of lights but not the cars themself)...

BTW, this is not "time-lapse" photography; its just long exposure or time exposure.

Time-lapse photography is taking a series of images framed identically with a lapse of time between them. Its usually done either as a single multi-exposed image (e.g. pix showing the sun moving across the sky as a series of suns in different positions) or as a movie that compresses days, weeks, or months into a few seconds or minutes.

Knowing the proper term will aid in using search functions like the one on this, and other, forums or more general purpose search engines.

like others have said, i would stack NDs...
tripod...long exposure.

what are you looking to capture? daytime moving water? cloud streaks?

Most reactions

Back