How to tell if DSLR camera is a counterfeit?

I already posted a link to search authorized Pentax dealers.

A camera seems like an awfully difficult thing to fake, but...

Camera Canon DL 9000 Flash Bag Motor Drive | eBay

It's no DSLR, but still, it fits the definition of a faked camera. Those are extremely obvious, though-I've found some of the other iterations of those piles of junk.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The New York camera seller says they are "Authorized Dealers" for Pentax. They are offering a Pentax K-500 camera for $399. That includes shipping.

My question is: Before buying the camera from a dealer is there any way to tell if a camera is a bootleg camera that is made outside of the authorization of the Canon, Pentax, Nikon, etc. camera company?

Why not first tell if the dealer is actually an authorized dealer first, then figure out if the product is kosher? or buy the same came from a reputable dealer for the same price?

JimTrail: Welcome! I think you may be getting confused with the concept of "gray market" cameras. Or "grey" if you wish.

The issue is not that the camera itself is a fake, but whether the warranty has been duly logged and paid for. Some sources will offer cameras at a substantial discount, but in reading the fine print one finds that it will not be covered under the factory warranty in the U.S. I doubt if an authorized dealer will handle any non-warranty merchandise.

As for how to tell if the camera is counterfeit or not, just contact the Camera company with the serial number. I believe they can tell you whether the camera is legit or not. (Or a gray market camera or not)

Wow. Good suggestions.

1). The first step would be to verify that the seller is an authorized dealer.

2). The second step would be to verify that the camera had a valid warranty.

3). The third step would be to confirm the serial number with the camera manufacturer.

I appreciate the information.

Thanks.

Most reactions

Back