zombiesniper

Furtographer Extraordinaire!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.trevorbaldwin.space
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I always try and save money where I can. This means when I see $50-$100 rain covers, I cringe. SO below is how I took a cheap Amazon/Ebay rain cover and made it waterproof.

The rain cover I use is just like this one. Ebay cheap rain cover.

I happen to have oil skin cream but it can be purchased for under $20 and will provide a lifetime of waterproofing for your cover.
This is the brand I use.

oilskin.jpg

I use my finger to apply but you could use a dry clean cloth.
Spread an even light coat to the whole surface of the cover.
Like below.

cover.jpg

I know you think you've just slimed your new cover but don't worry. We have one step left to go.

For any spots where you may have added to much cream it will remain shiny. While the shiny spot is still hot, wipe up any excess with a clean dry cloth.

Now you have a waterproof camera cover that didn't break the bank.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great idea!

I once hacked up a large zip lock bag to shoot video during a hurricane in 2011, worked like a charm!

But this would be a far better solution.

Do covers only come with tripods in mind.

Thank you.

I never use a tripod. I cut the elastic on the hand cover on the right side so I could access the camera easier.

Thank you.

I never use a tripod. I cut the elastic on the hand cover on the right side so I could access the camera easier.

Do you find tripods to be a bit restrictive when shooting wildlife?

Make sure you bring one tomorrow. I have a feeling we are going to need it.

I started with plastic trash bags then a few cheap rain covers. Then I upgraded gear so I figured if spent $8000 on a lens and $6000 0n a camera I should us something a little more dependable. Now I use a Think Tank Photo Hydrophobia Rain Cover. This thing is excellent I've been out in down pours and a blizzards for hours at a time.

Most reactions

Back