Website
www.jamestangphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shoot on an overcast day.

Use a fill light.

Shoot for good bokeh.

Follow proper white balance technique.

Forget about composition, assume the busy background won't be a distraction issue, and use unflattering poses.

I'm pretty sure most of the qualities you describe are achieved by a big softbox to the right, gelled to match ambient, on an overcast day. The white balance on the whole image is then adjusted to be a little bit warm. There might be an additional fill light camera left somewhere... sort of hard to tell.

Yeah lighting is not really an issue for me just the colors that I always have trouble with. Thanks for the suggestions, now I gotta get myself a red head to try this on. lol

I don't think anything special is needed, light-wise, for the colors you're after.

Part of it is that the models are wearing make-up, do they don't look flat.

The other part is just a warmish color balance, a skim tone preset.

Check your camera's presets, I bet there is something like that without even having to resort to post processing. Maybe even portrait mode? It depends on the camera.

Check your camera's presets, I bet there is something like that without even having to resort to post processing. Maybe even portrait mode? It depends on the camera.

I shoot RAW so I don't think camera presets apply, but portrait has very bland colors when look at the JPEGs. I'm going to try a few method with lighting and white balance.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back