How was this photo taken?

MissCream

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't understand it... I look at pictures and I can almost always tell how it was taken or edited but I haven't been baffled like this before. How is so much of the top out of focus with bokeh at the top, the wedding party in focus, all the way across the picture, a third of the way down and directly under them is oof again. Is it just good editing? Maybe a Lensbaby? Maybe it was just cropped well...

Backyard Wedding | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My camera has an In camera editing function called "Miniature" that yields the same results. I would bet that most editing software has the same tilt-shift type effects available.

This is just a guess here, but I would imagine that the effect was done PP. I just don't see a wedding photographer futzing around with a specialty lens, for one shot, mid-ceremony.

Last edited:
My camera has an In camera editing function called "Miniature" that yields the same results. I would bet that most editing software has the same effects available.

This is just a guess here, but I would imagine that the effect was done PP. I just don't see a wedding photographer futzing around with a specialty lens, for one shot, mid-ceremony.

I agree whole-heartedly. The "miniature" setting, I assume, would duplicate what is normally achieved with either a lens baby or tilt-shift. And again, I can't imagine a wedding photographer messing around with those during a ceremony. In my opinion, it definately looks like it was done in post.

Yeah now looking at the rest of the album it seems like there is a lot done in PP.

It's from a tilt/shift lens. I read about another photo that I assumed was a fake tilt shift. Someone asked if she 'faked the blur' and this was her reply:

Thanks for the comments!
Yohan - nope. The blur is completely 'real' from the T/S :)

Pretty cool. Tilt/shift lenses aren't the easiest to use and it's a ballsy move bringing one to a wedding imo.

It's from a tilt/shift lens. I read about another photo that I assumed was a fake tilt shift. Someone asked if she 'faked the blur' and this was her reply:

Thanks for the comments!
Yohan - nope. The blur is completely 'real' from the T/S :)

Pretty cool. Tilt/shift lenses aren't the easiest to use and it's a ballsy move bringing one to a wedding imo.

That is Ballsy... I was thinking that could be a possibility but it didn't look as "miniature" as the rest of the tilt shift pictures I'seen. If I had a second shooter then maybe I would consider that because it turned out to be a really nice picture :)

I would love a tilt shift.
Sigh.. one day I will win the lottery.. one day.

And again all my thanks are gone. I'll get you tomorrow :)

very simply photoshop lens blur, you would need a plate camera to create that effect without photoshop. Select the area you want sharp, feather 250 px then invert the selection. then go to filter/blur/lens blur with a high radius. Simple.

I don't understand it... I look at pictures and I can almost always tell how it was taken or edited but I haven't been baffled like this before. How is so much of the top out of focus with bokeh at the top, the wedding party in focus, all the way across the picture, a third of the way down and directly under them is oof again. Is it just good editing? Maybe a Lensbaby? Maybe it was just cropped well...

Backyard Wedding | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I believe she indeed has a Canon Tiltshift lens. If you really want to know the answer, message her. Her TPF member name is Peanuts

The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - View Profile: Peanuts

Definetally a tilt/shift lens, and for what I've seen in wedding photography forums they are being used more and more in wedding photography, Tony Hoffer, a well known wedding photographer from the Philly area uses T/S lenses in a very creative way.

Definetally a tilt/shift lens, and for what I've seen in wedding photography forums they are being used more and more in wedding photography, Tony Hoffer, a well known wedding photographer from the Philly area uses T/S lenses in a very creative way.

That guys portfolio is outstanding

I guess it's an old TS lens. The 45mm f/2.8. Doesn't seem to have a LensID in the EXIF on flickr, but that was her focal length so it would make sense.

Totes a Tiltshift though.

Cool thanks everyone :)

Hilarity. I know this is ancient but I will reply. (I came back to TPF after someone just clicked on my blog from here and kind of stumbled upon this thread)

So yes, hi! *waves* I took that shot with a 45mm TS. No photoshop at all to achieve that look. The PS version will NOT yield the same results. See the bokeh in the trees up in the upper right corner? If I had photoshopped this it would have just been a mushy blur and not bokeh.

Oh and I wasn't 'futzing' around with the TS. I use two cameras at all times when I am shooting and always insure there are many m ore 'normal' lens shots.

Most reactions

Back