How Waterproof Is Waterproof

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've read several places that shooting my camera and lens outside while it's lightly raining would be alright. I'm just very nervous about it; it's a heck of a lot of money to experiment with. So my question: how waterproof is waterproof? Will my camera be fine if I take some shots outside in a light rain? If it is, what do I need to do to dry it off? Is a good wipe down good enough? The reason I ask is that it has been raining here all day, but its freezing almost immediately. The trees are BEAUTIFUL, especially with the sidewalk lights shining behind them. I wanted to go take pictures of it oh so badly, I'm just paranoid about the water aspect of rain...Thanks for your anticipated replies!

It'll handle a good pouring rain. If you worry, get a rain cover for the camera.

It's water resistant, not water proof. The camera will do ok in a misting rain, but the weak point for water to get in is with the 18-200 you are using. Get a rain cover, they are cheap compared to replacing the body or lens.

Can you snorkel or shower with it? No. Can you play around in the rain? Yes, and I encourage you to do so. There are often some great photo opportunities in bad weather. The 18-200 will have issues before the body will.

Did he just ask if his waterproof camera could take pictures in light rain?

URL]

URL]

URL]

I sure hope it can.

only one way to find out

Manufactures usually don't make lower end lenses water sealed. Canon L lenses that are sealed have a rubbe gasket where they lens mounts to the body. Other than that, put a plastic bag over your camera if you're worried about it.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for those links KmH! I'm going to order one today! Just so I know, what does one have to do after shooting in the rain to protect their gear? Is it as simple as wiping it off or is there more to it?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One word: Umbrella.

That's a nice for when rain isn't accompanied by some form of wind.. I'd say you'd live in a pretty tame environment otherwise.

I have been out in some pretty heavy rain with mine. I TRY to keep a rain sleeve in my camera bags at all times. I sure as heck don't want to push the limits and see where it breaks at!

One word: Umbrella.

That's a nice for when rain isn't accompanied by some form of wind.. I'd say you'd live in a pretty tame environment otherwise.

If you wanted to bash a good suggestion you should have rather taken the angle on about having to hold the umbrella while also handling your camera. In the mean time that is an astute observation.

Most reactions

Back