How well will this wedding photograper do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See above meme about pedaling... the opposite way of forward. :lol:

how_to_put_your_cat_in_reverse.gif

DAMMIT! I need to get better at my meme searching.

I'm still a newb. :lol:

I have a feeling no one read the first post and thought "Oh here is someone wondering how well these photos will turn out" I got the feeling that it was about bashing on the pro that you obviously did not like for whatever reason.

If that was not the case then someone needs work on the way they compose a post.

I have a feeling no one read the first post and thought "Oh here is someone wondering how well these photos will turn out" I got the feeling that it was about bashing on the pro that you obviously did not like for whatever reason.

If that was not the case then someone needs work on the way they compose a post.

I strongly suspect that across the ocean my words have been misread.
"How well will this wedding photographer do?" in my language is a genuine question, not rhetorical, and was posted in the hope that an experienced wedding photographer might post and explain how perfectly feasible it was to shoot the whole day without flash.
This is the problem with the internet, that exact same sentence/question could be interpretated many different ways depending on which word was emphasised, And i assume many of you unfamiliar with the way English people talk have assumed the emphasis was possibly on the word "this".
This makes the question rhetorical and sarcastic, which wasn't my intent.
It still doesn't answer the question of why only 2 people addressed the question and the rest of you took great pleasure in ambushing me for whatever reason.

$27304889.jpg

Please, dig yourself into a deeper hole.

I strongly suspect that across the ocean my words have been misread.
"How well will this wedding photographer do?" in my language is a genuine question, not rhetorical, and was posted in the hope that an experienced wedding photographer might post and explain how perfectly feasible it was to shoot the whole day without flash.
This is the problem with the internet, that exact same sentence/question could be interpretated many different ways depending on which word was emphasised, And i assume many of you unfamiliar with the way English people talk have assumed the emphasis was possibly on the word "this".
This makes the question rhetorical and sarcastic, which wasn't my intent.
It still doesn't answer the question of why only 2 people addressed the question and the rest of you took great pleasure in ambushing me for whatever reason.

Hey man, I read through this thread and while I sympathize with you on the way you've been knocked about, I think it's wise not to talk about third persons on the internet, especially about their work. Even if you had looked at the work, you have no locus standi to publicly criticize because (1) it was not a public event, it was a wedding and (2) the photographer had not asked you to do it.

Impliedly you were criticizing the other photographer without looking at their work and asking people to judge something they have not seen for themselves, which is wrong in my opinion. Perhaps you should have phrased the question in a technical sense and asked how to get great pictures in low light without flash. However, you posted about the conduct of the photographer and their mannerisms, which are not technical issues, making people here believe you had an axe to grind.

Having been online for a long time, this kind of thing never comes to a good conclusion. Better to let things go. The good thing you've done is not to identify that photographer in person. Had you done so, it might have been a defamation lawsuit in the making.

I have not seen the results so at the moment i am reserving judgement but i have to say i am a little sceptical.
She was paid an awful lot of money (I believe her and her partner who was shooting video charged £3,500 UK, Thats about $5,300 US ) for most of the day up until the first dance at about 7PM, then they both dissapeared.
She was also absent for big chunks during the day (lunch break perhaps ??)
Anyway she had 2 cameras, the D700 you can see in the pic, and a D800 which had a 35mm or 50mm 1.8 prime on it (couldn't quite make out which one)
It was a very cold and cloudy day, as it has been here in England for the last few months, so apart from the group shots outside everything else was shot indoors, and in both the ceremony and the dinner/speeches the only light was ambient coming in through the windows right behind the couple.
She never used a flash/strobe all day, If i'm honest i don't think she had one.
Only on a couple of rare occasions did i notice the videographer help her out by pointing his video light towards the couple while she took her shots.
Is it possible that her shots will turn out fine and i'm being over sceptical?
I thought about asking her if she wanted to use my SB700 but she didn't appear to be the friendliest or most cheerful person in the world.

Versus...

"I was at a wedding and saw a professional photographer documenting the entire event without using flash. I'm just wondering if it is possible to photograph an entire wedding, including indoor locations, without using flash and still produce great pictures?"

I have not seen the results so at the moment i am reserving judgement but i have to say i am a little sceptical.
She was paid an awful lot of money (I believe her and her partner who was shooting video charged £3,500 UK, Thats about $5,300 US ) for most of the day up until the first dance at about 7PM, then they both dissapeared.
She was also absent for big chunks during the day (lunch break perhaps ??)
Anyway she had 2 cameras, the D700 you can see in the pic, and a D800 which had a 35mm or 50mm 1.8 prime on it (couldn't quite make out which one)
It was a very cold and cloudy day, as it has been here in England for the last few months, so apart from the group shots outside everything else was shot indoors, and in both the ceremony and the dinner/speeches the only light was ambient coming in through the windows right behind the couple.
She never used a flash/strobe all day, If i'm honest i don't think she had one.
Only on a couple of rare occasions did i notice the videographer help her out by pointing his video light towards the couple while she took her shots.
Is it possible that her shots will turn out fine and i'm being over sceptical?
I thought about asking her if she wanted to use my SB700 but she didn't appear to be the friendliest or most cheerful person in the world.

Versus...

"I was at a wedding and saw a professional photographer documenting the entire event without using flash. I'm just wondering if it is possible to photograph an entire wedding, including indoor locations, without using flash and still produce great pictures?"

I was simply detailing the scenario, I have always been careful not to name the photographer, nor provide any links to her.
In fact for all i know she probably did a fantastic job and the happy couple will be extremely pleased with her work. I hope this is the case as i have stated all along.
Everyone here apparantly thinks i have a problem with her, or that i have a chip on my shoulder...Absolutely not, I merely asked a question about her method, something i would assume is a normal thing to do on a photography forum.
The answer may help me with my own photography, or others too, or it may turn out that there was a better solution, but either way at no point have i hinted that its all to do with sour grapes, Everyone on this thread has made that assumption very incorrectly i might add.

And I think we are done here and the thread is going in circles. Time to bring it to a close and move on.

Happy Easter all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back